Backlash Or A Different Problem ?

Ok, on the cross feed screw where it mounts to the face of the base. That mount must be removed and the mounting holes will probably have to be elongated to allow for proper alignment with the nut on the saddle. You usually have to "play" with this adjustment until you get it in the right place with minimum binding.
Let us know how you make out or if you need more guidance. Ken

Good advise above. I have a friend that is rebuilding one of these right now. Will try to get by his place and have a look at it and see if there is any thing obvious that I can glean that might help out.

Hi Dylan,

That does look like an odd gib adjustment is it "after market" (cobbled together by a former owner)?

Have you removed the gib entirely to have a look?
It sounds to me like the adjustable gib is much too short. Perhaps it got either broken off, or when it was modified someone put in one that was too short.

It sounds like the gib is too short to fill the gap at the back.

-brino

Hi Dylan,

That does look like an odd gib adjustment is it "after market" (cobbled together by a former owner)?..snip...

-brino

I don't believe that is an after market fix. That's how it's done on the box ways they used. If you look carefully at the pictures, the same gib arrangement is used on the table travel, too. I'm 100% sure it's original. Yeah, it's has buger marks all over the place on the gib adjustment, but I've seen a lot worse.

I've seen and used the same gib design on much larger machine tools in my earlier years. Find a large Niles boring lathe, there's probably 8 gibs of this design and are over 24" long x 2" high and start out at 1/2" on the small end. Not trying to intimidate anyone here, just saying. Ken

Thanks for all your replies. I have take. Your advise and stripped it down to locate the problem. I have removed the table and didn't find anything that looked broken or badly worn. I am unsure what to adjust in order to correct this issue. It's pretty simple looking hardware down here.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

There must be an alignment issue with the lead screw/nut assembly. That's the only thing I can think of that would cause the table to lift like that.

start scraping....
it probably is the handwheel assembly that causes the lift, but that is of minor importance

on edit find someone with a surfacegrinder and grind the female side to size
better yet to slightly under size and shim to size

Last edited:
Okay. I think it's the lead screw holder. I put it back on and tried to line it up better. By doing that the table jump has gone from being in plain sight it is now only measureable by test indicator. It is reading .001 of a jump now when switching direction on that axis. I am now wondering if I should take it apart again as try to get a. Enter tolerance or should I be happy with .001 ?
Thanks
Dylan

image.jpeg

Back