Backlash Or A Different Problem ?

If you get much closer than that half thou, I would think you would be close to binding. Leave the room for lube. If you are doing things that need that tolerance, you need more machine than what you have :)! I got by my friend's place today, and his is dove tail, so no help there. If you want it closer, what Jim suggested above about milling the clamp would get you there.

The clamps were allowing about 1/32 or so lift in the saddle. That is way too much. You are correct there does need to be room for oil, 0.0005 is about right for that. The original problem was the lead screw causing the lift, that seems to be more or less corrected now, but the clamps are way too loose. Still a bit more work to do to get things right :)

Agree there, Jim. If the lift problem has been sorted without any clamp work, that is a good thing. And yes, that much gap is definitely too much. I was assuming the clamps had been massaged a bit to help with where he is at as well.

That's a great idea. Or maybe a good job my my new atlas 7 shaper. I got it for $150 but need to work on it a bit more. Thanks so much for all you help. Your experience is invaluable. And that you all take time out of your day to make thoughtful comments is very kind.
Thanks
Dylan
a job well suited for a shaper indeed, if the stroke is long enough that is...
take of enough and shim to fit

Back