AXA or BXA Tool Post

Quick run - no chatter! Compound is still at 45°. I didn't change the angle because the one hold-down nut is still a concern.
I may attempt to rework that tonight. May not succeed but it's good to have hope. - hehe
Tried it on a piece of 1" DIA. round and a hunk of 1" DIA. Tube.
Attached picture is of the solid round.
The grooves marked in red were the cuts I made a couple of days ago.
And I'm feeling that if I get it rotated to 30° it's be even better.

1523145882120.png

1523145950615.png

Quick run - no chatter! Compound is still at 45°. I didn't change the angle because the one hold-down nut is still a concern.
I may attempt to rework that tonight. May not succeed but it's good to have hope. - hehe
Tried it on a piece of 1" DIA. round and a hunk of 1" DIA. Tube.
Attached picture is of the solid round.
The grooves marked in red were the cuts I made a couple of days ago.
And I'm feeling that if I get it rotated to 30° it's be even better.

If you were extending the piece from inside the spindle as you made test cuts then, problem solved. If you had that long piece sticking-out as you made test cuts and if it was not supported with center from the tailstock then, you will always get chatter as you make cuts further away from the jaws. That's a fact of life.

Anyhow, glad you finally got into the shop today.

Ray

Oh yeah, had it close in and moved it out as I was making cuts, so not more than an inch to 1-1/2".
On the tube, I even had the live center engaged before and it still chattered.
And as you've mentioned before, I believe that I need to go over my gibs.

Oh yeah, had it close in and moved it out as I was making cuts, so not more than an inch to 1-1/2".
On the tube, I even had the live center engaged before and it still chattered.
And as you've mentioned before, I believe that I need to go over my gibs.

So, has the vibration improved somewhat?

Ray

So, has the vibration improved somewhat?

Ray
Much better! A tad of noise when I tried out the tube but it was very minor compared to first run a couple of days ago.
No noise at all on the solid round, and I didn't even have the live center engaged.
So it does definitely improve performance.
I just noticed that I need to post a 'straight-on' shot of the carriage. It strikes me as rather light on the head side.
I need to redo the hold-down nuts for the compound and then I'm going to rotate it to 30° and try that out also.

Noob question for clarification. 'A' or 'B'?
I'm Assuming 'A'. But you know what happens when you assume. :grin:
About to attempt (for the Third time today) to get out in the shop. Been in it four times already but that was to grab some tools to help the neighbor with his RV - which is spouting water all over the place. And it's 44° here today, -BLECH-
View attachment 264387
Rotation of the compound seems to fall into three schools of thought. Harry taught us to leave it at 29.5 deg. from 90 (position A) for purposes of threading. School #2 likes to leave it parallel to the axis of the lathe to allow precision movement along the x axis without a DRO or indicator. School #3 just doesn't care and leaves it wherever.

I'm going to try out the 30° - once I can trust my nuts.
The 29.5° system, seems to me, to hark back to lantern post days.
Joe Pies's upside down and straight on and away from the headstock is working out much better for me. YMMV.

Greetings, I have a Precision Matthews 1236T lathe and am looking for the best QCTP for that machine. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Greetings, I have a Precision Matthews 1236T lathe and am looking for the best QCTP for that machine. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
I have a BXA tool post from Shars on my SB 13. I am very pleased with it. It should work well on your PM 12".

BXA

Best depends on your budget.

Back