AXA or BXA Tool Post

When I re-assembled mine I remember spending some time figuring that out before I got it right.
It's been a while, and I don't remember the details so I can't give you any particular advice other than
to keep at it. You'll get it.

I know folks have said the screws are no good, though I'm not sure why. I'd skip it: you can always replace
them later if you think you need to.

I figured it out after a nights rest. I just backed off so the jaws released, turned 180 degrees and drew the jaws back in. Perfect. Having one of these QCTP that works correctly is a wonder to behold. That and 12L14 makes me look like I know what I am doing :)

...trimmed...
Another issue with large QCTPs on smaller machines, is that the drop-down projection of cutter position is very close (or possibly over-hanging) the left-most edge of the carriage. This can cause really nasty cases of chatter –even when taking light cuts. Ideally, the cutting action should take place as close to the center of the carriage as possible. This puts all the forces straight downward on the carriage. With all the forces happening on the left side, the right side lifts up, leading to a chatter condition. Been there, done that –and scratched my head a good long while to solve that mystery.
Ray
I knew I read something about this recently...
Finally got the 'new to me' BXA mounted this week. First cut was a couple of nights ago. And I've got chatter.
WTH?!?!? It's an Aloris for crying out loud. OK stand back, analyze this, has to be operator error. No luck.
I've been irritated the last two days. Ready to put the AXA back on.
Now I see. Anyone wanna place a bet that it's hanging to the left? Guess where I'm headed after I post?
Owe Ray a crafted high quality adult beverage for sure.

Finally got the 'new to me' BXA mounted this week. First cut was a couple of nights ago. And I've got chatter.
WTH?!?!? It's an Aloris for crying out loud. OK stand back, analyze this, has to be operator error. No luck.
Now I see. Anyone wanna place a bet that it's hanging to the left? Guess where I'm headed after I post?

Let's hold off on the liquid salute till after the technique gives good results...

Appreciate the offer nonetheless.

Ray

Well Dan, did things improve? Did you get the vibration under control?

If not, let me know the status and we can try and work it out.

Ray

Well Dan, did things improve? Did you get the vibration under control?

If not, let me know the status and we can try and work it out.

Ray
Thanks Ray!
I went out into the shop Thursday night, and yep it was a bit to the left, I adjusted it to the right and moved the compound back about a 1/2" from flush.
Then the phone rang and I was tied up the rest of the night and Friday.
The plan is to get into the shop this afternoon and make some test cuts.
I've got the compound at 45°.
I'll get some picts taken.

Thanks Ray!
I went out into the shop Thursday night, and yep it was a bit to the left, I adjusted it to the right and moved the compound back about a 1/2" from flush.
Then the phone rang and I was tied up the rest of the night and Friday.
The plan is to get into the shop this afternoon and make some test cuts.
I've got the compound at 45°.
I'll get some picts taken.

FWIW: I usually leave my compound at 30 degrees. Your lathe (and personal preferences) may be different but, on my lathe, it does not get in the way of the tailstock as much. Also, if your compound holds the QCTP with a large T-nut that can be slid from side-to-side, try to keep it somewhat centered. You can move it around a little of course but, pushing more than 1/2 way off center causes a different set of problems.

Ray

FWIW: I usually leave my compound at 30 degrees. Your lathe (and personal preferences) may be different but, on my lathe, it does not get in the way of the tailstock as much. Also, if your compound holds the QCTP with a large T-nut that can be slid from side-to-side, try to keep it somewhat centered. You can move it around a little of course but, pushing more than 1/2 way off center causes a different set of problems.

Ray
Noob question for clarification. 'A' or 'B'?
I'm Assuming 'A'. But you know what happens when you assume. :grin:
About to attempt (for the Third time today) to get out in the shop. Been in it four times already but that was to grab some tools to help the neighbor with his RV - which is spouting water all over the place. And it's 44° here today, -BLECH-
1523124363399.png

Noob question for clarification. 'A' or 'B'?
I'm Assuming 'A'. But you know what happens when you assume. :grin:
About to attempt (for the Third time today) to get out in the shop. Been in it four times already but that was to grab some tools to help the neighbor with his RV - which is spouting water all over the place. And it's 44° here today, -BLECH-
View attachment 264387

I personally tend to leave it at position A unless there's some other reason not to. -Not saying that's the correct way based on some mechanical reasoning... On my lathe, it gives good clearance for the tailstock and the corner of the leading edge is not protruding steeply into the chuck.

Ray

Back