AXA or BXA Tool Post

I just measured 3.125 to the top of the compound base. I will mount the BXA Phase 2 and check for overall fit.
Thanks

+1 to what RayC states. a CXA is just too darn big for 13" - Bigger is not always better.
I had a CXA that came with my 14" and I'm sorry you just can't take full advantage of the size tool bits a CXA can handle so there's the first compromise.
The Aloris BXA that I finally scored recently seems to me to be as Goldilocks stated - Just right.
And if you're hampered with budgeting issues a BXA is a lot cheaper to tool up...

About 10 years ago, there was an Atlas Lathe Forum that I used to frequently visit. A new fellow showed-up one day insisting his 10" TH42 lathe needed an 8" chuck because his 5" chuck was totally clapped-out. We advised him against it... He had all the answers and told us how he measured the distance between spindle center and top of ways and there was room for it to fit. He installed it as planned. One slight problem. When he mounted a 3/4" diameter rod in the chuck, the jaws were far enough out to hit the ways....

Bigger is not always better. A 13" lathe needs a BXA at most and an AXA will work just fine too.

Ray C.

Addendum: A Hardinge 10EE is a 12.5" swing lathe (if I'm not mistaken). The YouTube personality named RobRenz (who is probably the most meticulous T&D maker I've ever seen) has a 10EE and uses AXA holders. -Food for thought. BTW: If you want to see the high-end level of manual T&D work, check-out some of RobRenz's videos.

Last edited:
About 10 years ago, there was an Atlas Lathe Forum that I used to frequently visit. A new fellow showed-up one day insisting his 10" TH42 lathe needed an 8" chuck because his 5" chuck was totally clapped-out. We advised him against it... He had all the answers and told us how he measured the distance between spindle center and top of ways and there was room for it to fit. He installed it as planned. One slight problem. When he mounted a 3/4" diameter rod in the chuck, the jaws were far enough out to hit the ways....

Bigger is not always better.

That's what I tried to tell her.....

This is why I bought a 6 in. 4-jaw for my Heavy 10

I received my new Phase 2 QCTP Today!!
I took it out of the package and immediately I had concerns. The size is noticeably larger, the finish is very good IMHO and compared to the tool that came with the lathe, (1941 13" single South Bend). I also noticed the base mount is too large to fit in the compound.
I was glad to see the BXA will allow all the quick change tools to mount properly with the correct alignment to center.
All in all I am happy with this purchase.
It looks like I have a small project for the Bridgeport.
Please see the pics.
Thank you for the help. I was going to order an AXA until I read the forum. The BXA is robust and should perform well for me.

Overall (1).JPG

Overall (2).JPG

Phase 2 (1).JPG

Another issue with large QCTPs on smaller machines, is that the drop-down projection of cutter position is very close (or possibly over-hanging) the left-most edge of the carriage. This can cause really nasty cases of chatter –even when taking light cuts. Ideally, the cutting action should take place as close to the center of the carriage as possible. This puts all the forces straight downward on the carriage. With all the forces happening on the left side, the right side lifts up, leading to a chatter condition. Been there, done that –and scratched my head a good long while to solve that mystery.

Ray

Man, this really makes a lot of sense. As soon as I hit "post reply", I am going to go move how I have mine mounted. When I was mounting my Phase II, I centered the body on my carriage - it just seemed like a natural choice. Noob mistake! Thanks Ray.

Man, this really makes a lot of sense. As soon as I hit "post reply", I am going to go move how I have mine mounted. When I was mounting my Phase II, I centered the body on my carriage - it just seemed like a natural choice. Noob mistake! Thanks Ray.

I'm glad it was helpful..

Here you go... In the 1st picture, the compound is set at the typical 30 degrees and is cranked all the way forward. Look straight down from my fingertip; it lines-up with the left-most edge of the carriage. The extended compounded is acting like a leverage arm. This extreme position can be a source of chatter because the forces pushing down on the left side are trying to lift the right side of the carriage upward. You will most commonly hear a humming sound that can range in intensity when face cutting. The problem less frequently happens when doing normal side cuts because, the motive forces being applied to the carriage help overcome the vibration that sets-up when carriage is stationary.
IMG_20180327_202606[1].jpg

With the compound cranked back, you're in safe territory. BTW: I keep a little piece of cardboard, held by magnets, to cover the ways on the compound. You don't have to crank back all the way like this, it's just for demonstration purposes. Just move it back enough to stop chatter if the situation ever arises.
IMG_20180327_202640[1].jpg

Ray C.

EDIT: BTW, this problem will get worse when using oversized toolposts. A CXA on a 12 or 13" lathe will keep the cutting edge almost an inch further forward than a BXA.

Last edited:
I used the Bridgeport to machine the base to fit proper. I mounted the new holder and adjusted the elevation for correct cutting tool vertical alignment.
I had the clocking right but now that I loosened the jaws to inspect for debris and properly clean and oil the qctp I need to find the sweet spot. I’m tired. I’m going inside.
Pics tomorrow.

I am very impressed with this Phase 2. Please consider I am very inexperienced with these. I used the old style about 30+ years ago. Very clean, not the usual dirty poor casting and finishing. This overseas product is acceptable considering it's about 75% less than that other domestic QCTP.
(The pic of the tool touching the spindle center line is just for measurement purposes)
My first real project on the Bridgeport.

IMG_0287.JPG

IMG_0289.JPG

IMG_0291.JPG

IMG_0296.JPG

I bought my Phase II a couple of years ago and have been completely satisfied with it. One thing I found though is that they
didn't clean or lube mine very well. After taking it apart, a session in the solvent tank and some lube, it worked much better.

Did you struggle with clocking on the release lever? When I first installed it before I cleaned and oiled it, the clocking was perfect. Last night before I gave up I was struggling with getting the right position.
I'll work on that this evening.
I am looking forward to making some chips with this new tool post. This one allows for tightening the retaining nut and the tool tightening lever stiil moves!
My old one did not allow for this simple feature. It's going in the scrap heap.
Oh, should I replace the set screws that hold the cutting tools? I read somewhere they use sub standard set screws but I don't know if Phase 2 applies.
Thanks for the help!
Jeff

Back