Awesome Vise Speed Handle Deal - Made in USA

Tomzo

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
I wanted to share my experience with an awesome vise speed handle I recently received. I am new to the hobby and found a round column mill locally off Craigslist for a decent price. I needed a vise and since money IS an object, I bought a 4" import vise off Amazon. It is no Kurt, but the price was right and its accuracy meshes well with my skill level. The handle for it is terrible and is extremely inconvenient to use if I have to make more than a few turns.

I was looking around for a speed handle but my vise has an oddball size so most of the import versions would not fit. I stumbled across this listing and found that the seller, Richard Getso from McAllen Texas, offered to make custom sizes. He asks that buyers measure the flats on the nut and send them to him. Mine measured 0.4635", so he made one to fit 0.465". He CNC machines these in his garage to order and sells them for $25 - including shipping!

The speed handle arrived about four days after I ordered it on a Saturday and man am I impressed. The fit is snug - I filed a few little burrs on the end of the nut to make it slip on. It is easy to remove, but does not try to wander off while in use. The finish is beautiful and he engraves his logo and the size on the vise. I wish the logo was on the other side as you can't see it when the handle is on the vise. He even machined a test nut to my specifications to test the fit and sent it along with the handle.

All of us in this hobby would love to buy Made in USA gear, but we are generally put off by the price or availability. This awesome maker brings this opportunity home and I, for one, and grateful for his service. I almost feel guilty for paying so little!

Here is the listing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/325103291231?hash=item4bb1aa8b5f:g:GygAAOSwcmRh8jRY

Attachments

• Speed Handle 1.jpg
    Speed Handle 1.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 82
  • Speed Handle 2.jpg
    Speed Handle 2.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 82
  • Speed handle 3.jpg
    Speed handle 3.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 83
Thanks for passing this on!

Making one of these has been on my project list for longer than I care to admit.

At $25, this is a no-brainer; just bought one.

Yes it is a no brainier. I can't make it for that price and I have cnc's to make it on.

Just bought one to have around when I need it. Thanks for the tip and the link.

I put the link in favorites!
Aaron

That is a sweet deal, but don't feel guilty because it's a fair price. Plus, I enjoy designing and making these handles. Unfortunately, there's no good place for the logo on the user's side. We know it's there which is all that matters.

Your forum entry caused a much appreciated spike in sales and my number available went to 0 so I had to relist the item.

Be careful, Tom, because I was new to the hobby not that long ago and things have gotten a little out of hand in the crowded garage. Like the rest of us, I am afraid you may have the sickness of which there is no cure. It can only be treated with additional machine and tool purchases.

@rgetso
I see you registered 9 years ago. Interesting.

Regarding the handles, are the cylindrical handles also aluminum?

That is a sweet deal, but don't feel guilty because it's a fair price. Plus, I enjoy designing and making these handles. Unfortunately, there's no good place for the logo on the user's side. We know it's there which is all that matters.

Your forum entry caused a much appreciated spike in sales and my number available went to 0 so I had to relist the item.

Be careful, Tom, because I was new to the hobby not that long ago and things have gotten a little out of hand in the crowded garage. Like the rest of us, I am afraid you may have the sickness of which there is no cure. It can only be treated with additional machine and tool purchases.
With free shipping you are giving those away. Material cost + machine time and tooling wear .. you make nothing on that.
Shipping is the biggest factor ..
You do have a right to make a few $$.

Nice looking handle and a very much needed accessory for any shop . USA AND H-M member made ! :encourage::):clapping::cool: Need I say more ?

You are now being followed on here as well as favorited on the bay . :beer:

I have one also . It's pink . :shhh:Why would someone anodise a pink handle for a machine shop ? :***** slap:

Back