Atlas TH42, My rebuild thread.

Phonnold

Registered
Registered
So I picked up a Atlas 10" lathe (I think), TH42 according to the model plate on the end of it. It seem to be a good machine over all, just needs a good cleaning. Things like metal chips in some of the bigger oil points and gunk and grim over it all. So before I start using it I decided to tear it down, clean it and get it built back up and oiled. Figured this way I will know the machine a little better and know that it is safe to use. Here are some pictures of the lathe as I got it.
IMG_5052_1.JPGIMG_5047_1.JPGIMG_5063_1.JPGIMG_5066_1.JPGIMG_5044_1.JPG

Tailstock isn't showing on the lathe as I have already taken it apart and done a good cleaning on it. Here is the tailstocks condition before I prepped it and also after it was cleaned and primed, ready to paint.

IMG_0839_1.JPGIMG_5079_1.JPG

Working on the compound slide now. Have it apart and ready to be cleaned and primed.

IMG_5098_1.JPG

Still no idea at this point what color I am going to paint it. Picked up a Hammered Pewter color, but not committed to that just yet. The lathe seems to have been a dark green as original color so maybe back to that. I like the idea of a dark blue though for some reason. I think if I could get a Hammered Navy Blue I would go with that, but I don't see that as a option. Getting cold around here so not going to be able to paint that often, so have time to make up my mind. Need to get a few ready and then get the torpedo heater going and warm up the garage enough for painting for a couple hours.

More updates as I get more done.

Philip

IMG_5044_1.JPG IMG_5047_1.JPG IMG_5052_1.JPG IMG_5063_1.JPG IMG_5066_1.JPG IMG_0839_1.JPG IMG_5079_1.JPG IMG_5098_1.JPG

Looking good. Keep us posted.

Your chuck looks fresh. Don't see any battle scars.

Last edited:
Philip,

Looks like a keeper! Nice score!

I have the same paint dilemma with the Atlas shaper I'm working on. I used Smoke Gray on my lathe and mill but thinking of going with more of a blue gray to more match the original Atlas color. I bought a small can of black and blue to mix with the gray. We'll see what I can come up with.

Good luck on your resto!

Steve

Nice find. I have a th54 and it was in worse shape that yours, Too busy using it to pull it apart to restore.

I've used this color on my drill press and various opther machines and I really like it and it holds up well. It's a wheel pain from duplicolor.

Ajax-20130505-00249.jpg

Ajax-20130505-00241.jpg

Ajax-20130505-00249.jpg

Phonnold- Nice lathe and it's starting to look good. Keep us posted.

Schor- That's a beauty. You did an awesome job. That graphite color looks fantastic!

great score and looks in pretty decent condition already. Looking forward to the rest of the rebuild. If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for it? I'm building up a mental picture of good prices for this size lathe for when I might be able to buy one in a year's time or so.

Nice find. I have a th54 and it was in worse shape that yours, Too busy using it to pull it apart to restore.

I've used this color on my drill press and various opther machines and I really like it and it holds up well. It's a wheel pain from duplicolor.

schor, what color is that? That looks good.

schor, what color is that? That looks good.

Duplicolor 'graphite' wheel paint. I've put cutting fluid, coolant, whatever on it and it holds up. I have a test area on my lathe that is always getting splashed and no paint is coming up.

The press has the clearcoat version of the paint for final 2 coats.

Last edited:
great score and looks in pretty decent condition already. Looking forward to the rest of the rebuild. If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for it? I'm building up a mental picture of good prices for this size lathe for when I might be able to buy one in a year's time or so.

I believe I got a really nice deal on this @$500. It included 3 and 4 jaw chucks, milling attachment and a fair collection of tooling, but I will need to learn how to grind my own cutters. This was part of a package deal though and I got a garage that is a mess right now because of it. So between getting the garage back in order, this rebuild and life's regular surprises I have plenty to keep me busy for a while.

Philip

that's a great deal, especially with all that tooling, well done! Get to it when you can and keep up the enthusiasm, you'll get there eventually. I'm almost finished setting up my ancient mini lathe, over a year after a friend went west and gave it to me! Speaking of which, I should get out in the garage while the kids are quiet and do some more :)

Back