Atlas 618 restoration finished

Jster,

I'm trying to think how to put this...

Robert D.

Jster,

Oh. Okay, that might be called wobble. If certain criteria are met, it's an easy fix.

Ideally, the chuck body is machined perfectly and the planes containing the front of the chuck, the area in the back around the three bolt holes, and the inner surfaces of the jaw slots are all parallel. The equipment necessary to measure and confirm this isn't complex but few of us have it (I don't, in fact). However, there is a measurement that you can make from which you can infer it. Repeat the front face runout check but do it at a distance off of the spindle axis that is just inside the OD of the front face of the back plate (the surface containing the three tapped holes). Mark the angular location of the high spot on the back plate. The reading should be less than .002" because the radius is smaller. Remove the chuck body from the back plate and repeat the test on the front surface of the back plate. If the high spot is the same magnitude and at the same location as on the chuck front face, make sure that the carriage and cross slide gibs are snug and take a minimal depth truing cut across the face of the back plate. If the high spot is definitely in a different location and/or a different magnitude, report back.

Robert D.

- - - Updated - - -

No, I had noticed that you were reading the thread and meant give me a minute to organize and write something.

Robert D.

I know I'm a DORK so you don't have to sugar-coat it......

Robert D.

Ok! It will take me a day or 2 to do that. Thank you so much for your time. I'm so new to this hobby, that my verbage is questionable at best. I'm try my best to learn, so bear with me.

Thank you again, and I'll let you know. In the meantime until I know what I'm doing, I AIN'T CUTTIN' none of my chuck back plates!

Ok guys,

Here is the latest. I got the lathe almost running like a Swiss watch. I got the 3 jaw chuck to set correctly on the register. It seems to have about 1.5 thou run out in 4". I'm still so new I'm not sure if I'm using the correct verbiage, but I think you call it run out (I'm measuring the diameter of a turned rod at the chuck and out 4").

Also, after facing the back of my 4jaw chuck, I still show .005" (wobble?) on the face. Using a collet, I'm turning a true cylinder.

Here is vid link if you care to see what I'm talking about. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.....jster

http://youtu.be/Qb3wUuKiocM

Last edited:
I have the same symptoms with my 618. I have noticeable wobble using the chuck for round stock, but almost perfectly true when using a collet.

Curtis

Nice job on the lathe. I haven't seen all of the videos yet, but intend to finish the rebuild. I think I have seen the first 6. Again, nice job you should be proud.

Paul

Paul: Thank you very much! What a kind thing to say. Now I have to figure out how to use it and not break it;-)

Back