Atlas 618 restoration finished

jster1963

Active User
Registered
DSC_0576.JPGDSC_0581.JPG

I finished the restoration of my dad's Atlas 618. Also, I did an 8 part series on youtube of this restoration. If you care to see part 8 with it running, here is the link......thank you
http://youtu.be/MAGqiJyrhaY

DSC_0576.JPG DSC_0581.JPG

Looks great, will watch the youtube. I hope you run the machine in the vid. If not, let's see some chips fly in your next youtube.

I saw a couple of your vids. That 3jaw chuck needs to mate right up to the spindle. You showed a fateplate and 4jaw that fit snugly, but the 3jaw is at least .05 out from touching. You need to take the backplate off your 3jaw, turn it backwards on your spindle, indicate and shim it to the spindle and then face off the part of the backplate that will mate to the spindle. I hope I am explaining this correctly.

Very nice job on the lathe and an excellent video.
I just missed getting a 618 last year and really wished I had not thought about it so long.
I think a 618 would handle most of my needs better then the 2 10" that I have.
HWF

schor: Thank you very much! I hope to be making vids on chips flying soon. And you are right. I can't get the 3 jaw to mate on the register. I don't quite understand what you mean about the backplate of the chuck. This is an Altas chuck and the backplate is part of the chuck. I hope I can figure it out.

Wierd Harold: Thank you so much! I'm just getting into hobby machining and I love this machine. I'm trying to get it dialed in rite now and hope to have chips flying soon. ps. 2 10" lathes can't be all that bad:))

chuckorlando: Thanks so much and I hope I can get it dialed in and cutting true soon.......

In one of your videos I saw there were 3 screws on the face of the chuck. What happens when you remove those screws? I am guessing the backplate will come off.

If I get a chance, I'll go out to the shop (cold today) and make a vid of what I am talking about to face off your backplate so it mounts nice to your spindle register.

schor: Thank you very much! I hope to be making vids on chips flying soon. And you are right. I can't get the 3 jaw to mate on the register. I don't quite understand what you mean about the backplate of the chuck. This is an Altas chuck and the backplate is part of the chuck. I hope I can figure it out.

schor: I guess what I mean is my backplate is not a seperate backplate/chuck. It seems integrated. Those 3 screws on the front does remove the backplate. Here is what the back of the chuck looks like. Please don't go out in the cold. I still have Miami blood flowing in my veins and I hate the cold:)) That's 1/2" bar chucked in it....

DSC_0586.JPG

DSC_0586.JPG

Just going by the pictures , the screws seem to be about in the right place to screw into the inset "back plate" .
In the picture of the back of the chuck you can see "witness marks" along the seam line as though it has been separated before.
It doesn't look like a normal plain back chuck but still looks like it comes apart. Not an expert but just my thoughts.

HWF

Wierd Harold: You are rite, I can get the back plate off. I just don't know how to fix it. Here are pix of it apart and backplate on the lathe without the chuck. You can see there is still a big gap between the backplate nd register.

DSC_0578.JPGDSC_0577.JPG

DSC_0578.JPG DSC_0577.JPG

Back