Asbestos Asbestos Asbestos

Great info. But how do I know something is asbestos? Is it spongy like insulation or string like fiberglass?
That is probably one of the biggest issues with asbestos , it was added to everything.

Lino flooring , Bakerlite , concrete , road surfaces , brake linings , cement board flue pipe , pipe lagging , space shuttle fireproof blankets ;)

Stu

also old 78 rpm records ,

Paint, mastic, grout, joint compound, glazing putty, contactor bodies, baby formula... anything silica is used for today.

I worked for six years as an analytical chemist for a battery manufacturer and dealt with many chemicals that could be dangerous if not handled properly. One task that fell on me was disposing of 10 lbs. of sodium cyanide that the machine ship no longer wanted. PPE in the '70's consisted of safety glasses and a lab coat. I did some research and determined that cyanide could be completely neutralized with common bleach, converting it into NaCl, CO2, N2, and H2O. This was done in a fume hood , slowly adding the bleach to prevent excessive foaming from the gas generation over a period of several days.

The point of this story is proper handling of hazardous materials is the key. This includes respect for the material, knowledge of its properties, and its impact on the environment, on living things, and immediate and long term consequences of mishandling. Much of the fear of various substances is propagated by lawyers, looking to become overnight multimillionaires through class action lawsuits. This not the best source for understanding the impact of a material. MSDS sheets are a good guide. They not only detail safe exposure limits but also proper containment practices. When dealing with any hazardous material, it is also a good idea to understand the best way to deal with an accident resulting in inhalation, ingestion, or contact with skin or eyes. For new products that information is often on the label. For older materials, one should understand the proper mitigation before using.

Over the past sixty years, I have dealt with many substances that are considered extremely hazardous and I would be lying if I said there hadn't been any accidents. The only time that I had a visit to the ER was when I accidentally got some hydrofluoric acid on my fingers. Aside from being a strong acid, it has the ability to dissolve bone. The acid had gotten in around my fingernails and despite the immediate flushing with water, continued to burn. The trip to the ER was a precaution, the best action being to pack the affected area with a baking soda slurry. (If we had latex or nitrile gloves back then, it would have prevented tha trip.) I continually handle materials which are potentially hazardous without fear but with knowledge and respect.

I guess you guys would never want to come to my house.
I have a vintage fire extinguisher in the kitchen with, heaven forbid, Carbontetrachloride in it. The thermostat for the furnace has mercury in it.
Since the old part of the house was built in1922 I'm sure there is some lead based paint inside.
The copper water lines probably have some lead in the solder too as do a couple of old brass valves.
I also installed two antique toilets - cause I liked them - and both of them take about 4 gallons to flush which will likely destroy the planet.
Then there is the one lighting circuit which is not grounded and none of the bedroom outlets are on AFCIs. My shower valves are not tempering type and the 7 hardwired smoke and 2 CO detectors I was required to install are mostly all disabled.
There is probably some asbestos and loaded guns somewhere in there too.
Going down the list, I have several vintage machines in my shop which likely have asbestos in the motor switches, my paint is not stored in an OSHA approved cabinet, my rigging chains do not have OSHA tags on them, none of my angle grinders have guards on them and the 3 phase from my rpc isn't quite to code. And I don't wear safety glasses all the time.
As to my tractors, on two of them the neutral safety switches are jumpered out/defeated and none of the 3 have ROPS or seat belts.
Speaking of seat belts, it is a moving violation to be caught without them on so I wear them in the daytime but almost never at night.
And worst of all, I didn't get the Vax.
The horror!
Meanwhile I go through life, fearless and carefree. Blithely even.
I'm sure I will die someday but I doubt it will be due to any of the things I've mentioned.

Attachments

• 20210713_153457.jpg
    20210713_153457.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 11
My friend, you can do as you please. But in my humble opinion, it isn't a great idea to publicly state your disregard for fire or house safety - it could get your insurance claims denied, especially if found out after the post fire inspection.

I too live in an old house, it was built in 1851. Yep, some of my knob and tube wiring is still active. I have steam heat with cast iron radiators and old plumbing. At one time there was asbestos covering the steam pipes, especially around the boiler. It was removed long before I moved in. Had to replace that insulation to get the heating to work properly. There's lead paint in places. Lead in the solder too. No AFCI either. Am I afraid the sky going to fall? No. But if I upgrade things it is to code. The code is there for a reason - it is to reduce accidents and incidents that occured in the past. About the lead solder - yeah we run the water a little before using it for drinking or cooking to flush out any dissolved lead. It's what you do in an old house.

We all live with risk. Many times it looks like the new stuff has gone overboard trying to save us. At times we have to defeat safeties. If I have to remove a guard to do something, I usually replace it after I am done. I want a reminder that I am doing something hazardous. A little fear is a good thing, baseless paralyzing fear is not. Be safe.

Some people have more balls than brains...

Back