Asbestos Asbestos Asbestos

First off, it wasn't intended as advice. Further, my comment was not "I didn't get sick so it isn't a problem". It was more a matter of what wll get to me first, the asbestos, the foundry sand and sandblasting(silicosis), my tobacco which I dearly enjoy, or riding a motorcycle across two states to have a cup of coffee at 03: AM, or something entirely unexpected. In essence, I faced my mortality when I was in the military ('68-'74) and am not afraid of dying. There are so many ways to expire, the only safe method is to stay in bed and have 24/7 attendance.

But even that isn't 100% safe. So we arise each day, give thanks for being alive, and pursue our day doing whatever we consider a priority. My concern isn't for my life, it is for the machines surrounding me. Washing parts in gasoline while smoking doesn't scare me, but I don't do it because the fire would burn down the shop, likely the residence, and quite probably the neighbor's house. The wife would be quite ill over the mess. Plus many of my models date from the '50s and '60s. Since they're in the same building as the shop, those older and "one of a kinds" would be a total loss.

I could retire to the country and become a "gentleman farmer" which actually implies that it's my stuff and someone else doing the work. But "Lions and Tigers and Bears, oh my" can do just as much damage as the fire. But that requires a great deal of moola. Bill Gates might have that kind of money, but Bill Hudson certainly doesn't. So, life goes on and I make my little bit of a mark on history. I have made my mark and am looking for something to best it. Haven't found it yet, but I'm still looking at grass from the green side.

Sometimes a reader will interpret words in a way the author didn't intend. So care should be taken when writing about subjects of consequence to ensure clarity. On that note; I was never making a case for making anything 100% safe or to not take risks. It was about taking sensible precautions to possibly avoid an unnecessary, agonizing death.
PS. Thank you for your Service to our country.

In this whole thread there is a lot of fear - over a tiny piece of asbestos, which is inside an enclosed motor control, that hasn't been opened in how many years and won't be opened again for how long?
Your allusion to cyanide was pure hyperbole, intended to instill fear in others.
Yep. Just looking at asbestos in a photograph behind glass is enough to cause mesothelioma and you will immediately die a horrible death and your loved ones will be cast away like leaves upon a stormy sea.
I see the same kind of fearsome talk on the tractor boards and it makes me wonder how some people can get out from under their bed in the morning...
No. Fear would be to say 'never mess with old electrical equipment as it might contain asbestos' I nor anyone else said that or anything like that here.
All I and others are saying is 'if you discover asbestos, either safely remove it or encapsulate it so it won't possibly harm you or someone else in the future'. That is a common sense precaution, not fear.
The cyanide comment was an analogy to illustrate the difference in perception between immediate and future consequences. No fear mongering, just facts.

I’m going to come across a lot more asbestos so why not cover as much as possible so that my contact is limited. I’m going to buy more old machines and will cover up the asbestos. I don’t want to have to deal with my mom saying that I can’t use a machine because it has asbestos.

Quite a lot of varying opinions so figured I'd throw mine in as well. :grin:

Asbestos has been scientifically proven to be dangerous to your health, possibly causing both cancer and asbestosis.
Whilst you won't get sick from being near it "once", why risk it?
I think you did the right thing Braeden P by spraying it over so it can't get airbourne.
Staying safe and having fun is about reducing risk, in this case the way to reduce the risk was both easy and cheap.

It's not a question of fear, it's about making smart choices with your life, so you can enjoy it more and/or for longer.

In this whole thread there is a lot of fear - over a tiny piece of asbestos, which is inside an enclosed motor control, that hasn't been opened in how many years and won't be opened again for how long?
Your allusion to cyanide was pure hyperbole, intended to instill fear in others.
Yep. Just looking at asbestos in a photograph behind glass is enough to cause mesothelioma and you will immediately die a horrible death and your loved ones will be cast away like leaves upon a stormy sea.
I see the same kind of fearsome talk on the tractor boards and it makes me wonder how some people can get out from under their bed in the morning...
The thing that strikes me as worthy of worrying about harmful substances is the situational awareness someone brings to the hazard as it is presented. And since most people suffer survivor bias, and therefore do not worry about such matters until they need to, it seems worth pointing out to the general public that - in certain situations - asbestos is harmful to humans under certain circumstances.

I know a lot of people who used to wash their hands and lunch utensils in tricloroethylene after their breaks. I know a lot of those people are still alive, but I also know some of those people who died of cancer. Does that mean triclor killed them? Maybe, maybe not. But now that we know the hazards of triclor, it really doesn't make sense to accept the risk does it? It's a great degreaser and general solvent; unfortunately for the manufacturers people are worth having around more than having a good degreaser handy. The same can be said of asbestos.

I know a little about this not because I'm smart, but I'm smart enough to listen and of course, Google. Also, experience. Asbestos must be abated wet, not dry. A few years ago, we had to pave our parking lot that was decades overdue. We are located in Burlington, Vermont. You can imagine the environmental regulations that everyone invokes and makes up when somebody wants to build a tree house in that city. The local fox can come out of its hole and start a petition saying the tree house will block its view of the sunset. I digress. Upon digging up the storm water drains and fixing the grade for drainage, we discovered an 18" asbestos lined stormwater pipe. Why was it lined with asbestos? Nobody knew. We were just left with a problem to deal with. We could have left it there according to asbestos abatement law. But our flooding would continue if we did so. The law also dictates how asbestos is abated; simply stated, it must be done so the asbestos does not become airborne. That requires basically two options, a) wet handling or b) encapsulation. Basically, the way we approach and handle asbestos is dictated by the law. There is no getting around this.

In Braeden's case, I would have left it alone. Of course, if you are worried about it - and it would be unnecessarily worrying given the situation - then spraying the coating over it works too. It is just an extra measure. I see no harm in that. And Braeden would have been absolutely fine removing the asbestos using a wet removal method. And if he chose to remove it with an orbital sander, he would probably be "fine" for the foreseeable future, but now that we know the risks associated with that method, why risk it for yourself and others around you?

The creeping harm that I do see is when we are made aware of things that are harmful and we willfully ignore them - unknowingly playing to our cognitive biases and ignoring reality. Especially if the machine is sold to someone who is willfully unaware or reckless when it comes to handling hazardous materials in the future.

I think most of us have been around asbestos. It was (and is) pretty useful. It's also a long term hazard. That being said, encapsulation is fine for control for most uses. Let's not get carried away with fear. Handled safely and with caution, everything will be fine. Braeden gets it.

Funny you should mention tractors. When I was at Tuckahoe, I saw hundreds of old tractors. Since they were old, they lacked modern safety features. As an aside, many of them were truly works of art. Made me think of a co-worker who died in a tractor roll over in 1980. His wife found him pinned under the tractor in the field, he had been there overnight. I still miss him. Whether safety features would have saved him, I'll never know. All of these things we work/play with can be dangerous, please be careful.

First off, it wasn't intended as advice. Further, my comment was not "I didn't get sick so it isn't a problem". It was more a matter of what wll get to me first, the asbestos, the foundry sand and sandblasting(silicosis), my tobacco which I dearly enjoy, or riding a motorcycle across two states to have a cup of coffee at 03: AM, or something entirely unexpected. In essence, I faced my mortality when I was in the military ('68-'74) and am not afraid of dying. There are so many ways to expire, the only safe method is to stay in bed and have 24/7 attendance.

But even that isn't 100% safe. So we arise each day, give thanks for being alive, and pursue our day doing whatever we consider a priority. My concern isn't for my life, it is for the machines surrounding me. Washing parts in gasoline while smoking doesn't scare me, but I don't do it because the fire would burn down the shop, likely the residence, and quite probably the neighbor's house. The wife would be quite ill over the mess. Plus many of my models date from the '50s and '60s. Since they're in the same building as the shop, those older and "one of a kinds" would be a total loss.

I could retire to the country and become a "gentleman farmer" which actually implies that it's my stuff and someone else doing the work. But "Lions and Tigers and Bears, oh my" can do just as much damage as the fire. But that requires a great deal of moola. Bill Gates might have that kind of money, but Bill Hudson certainly doesn't. So, life goes on and I make my little bit of a mark on history. I have made my mark and am looking for something to best it. Haven't found it yet, but I'm still looking at grass from the green side.

Interesting take on mortality! I for one, am glad you are around to share your life experiences - for what my opinion is worth!

I just blathered on about people being willfully unaware or ignoring the risks. I hope nobody takes offense to what I'm saying there. I think your view of the world is unique. You are in fact aware of the risks and have accepted them and the consequences that come with them.

Great info. But how do I know something is asbestos? Is it spongy like insulation or string like fiberglass?

Back