arm and hand removed by lathe

I hardly ever wear gloves for doing anything---just can't do any work with them on. The only exception is when using a drain cleaner (roto rooter) I do wear heavy rubber gloves for that but even that scares me but you have to be able to control the cable somehow. My BIL was helping me one day and had on those filmsy canvas type gloves and when the cable got some tension on it and opened the coils and then closed on his gloves. Close call but because you are using a pressure switch with your foot--he got it stopped really fast (not turning very fast to start with--but could hurt you).

Don't wear any rings when working with anything (much to the wifes disapproval). Being a auto-truck mechanic for most of my life have seen rings cause to many accidents. Rings shorted out across a battery just fries your finger in short order.

Seriously though, your lucky. It could have been worse. May I ask what lathe you were using? Cleaning it up would be nasty....

Hi Andre

You know I truly don't remember, it was over 30 years ago, but I think it was an Austrian or Czechoslovakian lathe, it would turn 26" over the cross slide, it had a gap bed, fairly curtain it would take about 20 feet or so, I have a partial picture of it, if I can find it I'll scan it and post it.

I'm of the opinion that 'common sense' is an oxymoron, and that you can't 'idiot proof' anything because they just build better idiots.

I have a pic hanging in my office at work, of a man sitting under a small truck that has been tipped up on it's right side tires and held there with a 4x4 propped between the left side frame and the road. I wrote a caption below it that says: "I'm not suggesting we kill all the stupid people, I'm just suggesting we eliminate all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out."

Kind of callous to some, but there are just too many idiots out there to save them all. The very fact that you have to tell people not to wear jewelry, long sleeves, gloves, etc. around any moving devices just boggles the mind.

I'll climb off my soapbox now...

Bill

"I'm not suggesting we kill all the stupid people, I'm just suggesting we eliminate all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out."
Bill

When you read some of the warnings that are included in instructions they are hilarious, the funniest one I ever seen was on a piece of exercise equipment, it was a spring with a T Handel at either end, you step on one end and pull the other end up, and it had a warning label that read "Do not remove feet when spring is extended" whenever I think of that I always imagine someone with that spring stretched out and the T handle touching there nose and thinking I wonder what would happen if I slid my feet off of that handle, and you just know someone did it at some point or the warning wouldn't be there....!:rofl:
And really is it necessary to include a warning in toaster instructions " Do not take in tub":))

Whenever I see a really odd warning label I always wonder "who the heck did that, to make them put this label on"!

Something tells me the bakers rules to wear gloves will now be trumped by OSHA rules and the gloves will come off. The guy is lucky that he didn't get killed!

i was watching a Keith Rutger youtube video last night and he was wearing gloves while operating a big lathe.

chris

I have a pic hanging in my office at work, of a man sitting under a small truck that has been tipped up on it's right side tires and held there with a 4x4 propped between the left side frame and the road. I wrote a caption below it that says: "I'm not suggesting we kill all the stupid people, I'm just suggesting we eliminate all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out."

This one?

Shade tree mechanic 2.jpg

... just hope he doesn't decide to relax, lean back, and admire his handiwork!

Shade tree mechanic 2.jpg

... just hope he doesn't decide to relax, lean back, and admire his handiwork!

This is totally insane!
That guy forget to run a piece of clothesline from the rear mirror to the gutter, for his own safety!
:roflmao:

I have 2 kinds of nitrile gloves, thin crappy 4mil and major 9mil. If you wear a 9mil on a machine chances are it will not tear fast enough to save you. I learned about the 4mil types that I hated at first as they tore so easily, but then the light bulb hit and those are what I use if I use near anything spinning. Usually though I am glove free around a lathe and I have a missing finger tip myself that got caught in a gear assembly (didn't hurt or bleed even it was that quick and clean)

Back