arm and hand removed by lathe

Totally gruesome to say the least.

Really a nasty site.

Wsa this a Lrage Lathe?

Never will I own a large lathe now.

Call me what you will ,but accidents do happen.

When I worked in a cabinet shop guy was running the straight line ripper, yep you guessed it with gloves on to cut down on Splinters.

Hand went right threw the blade and almost cut his hand in half.

Off for about 2 months and the Boss wanted to fire him cause of it, he quit after back a few months.

I have seen Table saws make quick work of fingers.

So watch out, and if in doubt ,ask somebody with experience to walk you thru the process.

Jeff

I do not want to loose a finger or a hand in the lathe or mill. I use gloves to handle materials and have used them when running the lathe. Will make sure I don't any more. I do not wear jewelry, as a trucker in town lost his ring finger. The old delivery truck he was driving had wood racks to hold the load on. He had a habit of grabbing the top of the wood post and swinging out and dropping to the ground. One day his ring caught in the wood and when he hit the ground, his finger was on the top of the picket with his ring.
Stan

One of the things I always keep in mind is how powerful a horse is and that a horsepower is defined by how much work a typical horse can do. A horse can knock you over with a simple sway of it's head. I got the wind knocked out of me by a horse that flicked it's head because a fly was bothering it's ear. Electric motors put that same power out on a continuous basis... As far as rings, jewelery, long sleeves and gloves -no way, no way in the world.

Ray

You are welcome to use this graphic, it can be printed out on normal size paper or if you would like a larger file just let me know and I can e-mail you the original version.

No_Gloves.jpg

We had a guy where I worked counterboring sheetmetal of all things with gloves on. One piece caught spun, and pulled his thumb completely off. They did get it sewed back on but he has no use of it. Surprisingly, he didn't get fired as some have for a lot less infractions.

From a machine dealer's site (fixed a few typo's):

[h=1][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]METALWORKING MACHINERY SAFETY: [/FONT][/h] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Metalworking machines can be very dangerous, which means they may cause injury or death if used carelessly or incorrectly. Buyers shall require employees to use all safety devices, guards and proper safe operating procedures as set forth in manuals and instruction sheets furnished by AMERICAN MACHINE TOOLS CORP. Buyer shall not remove or modify any such device, guard or sign. It is Buyer's responsibility to provide all the means that may be necessary to effectively protect all their employees from serious bodily injury which otherwise may result from the method of particular use, operation, set-up or service of the equipment. It is Buyer's responsibility to provide to provide proper training to each employee using the machine or to use only employees that are sufficiently experienced in the use of such machine. It is the responsibility of Buyer to comply with any and all national and local codes including OSHA. [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Click for OSHA's website about Machinery Safety[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]. If Buyer fails to comply with such provisions of this paragraph or the applicable standards or regulations aforementioned, Buyer shall indemnify and save AMERICAN MACHINE TOOLS CORP harmless from and against any and all claims, losses or damages arising there from. Those previous 2 sentences are very important to understand.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Because it is impossible for machinery suppliers to predict exactly how you are going to use the machine over the years, it is impossible for machinery suppliers to guard against every danger without ruining useful machine productivity, so you need to be responsible and take this seriously. OSHA reports that machinery users suffer 18,000 amputations, lacerations, crushing injuries, and abrasions. OSHA also reports over 800 machinery users are killed per year. Only you - can prevent accidents.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Common Sense: Now that you have read all of the above, it is time to think about this from a practical standpoint. There is no substitute for using common sense. No amount of time saving is worth the risk of cutting off a finger or worse. And that is what will eventually happen if you take dangerous shortcuts. Don't remove the safety guards before using the machine. If you do take one off for some reason, put it back before you use the machine. Don't let distractions, laziness, being in a hurry, or your ego, get you injured. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Be smart: Always be on the lookout for possible safety hazards. Watch out for pinch points where your finger could get crushed or severed. It is difficult to go through life without a finger. It is hard to turn handles, play sports, type, etc. Women will think it looks gross. Watch out for moving parts. You don't want to be too close if you lose your balance or bump into something that pulls you in. Keep hands, fingers, hair and loose clothing away from moving parts.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Knowledge: Please visit the OSHA Machinery Safety website by clicking on the link shown above. It is worth the time to brush up on the safety precautions OSHA expects from every machine owner. If you don't know how to use a machine you purchased, hire someone who does. If you cant to afford to hire someone to use the machine for you, then temporarily hire someone to train you on how to properly use the machine. Don't try to learn by yourself. It is best for machinery users to go through a Machine Tool Apprenticeship.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Safety Guards: Safety devices such as Light Curtains are strongly recommended to prevent fingers and hands from getting crushed especially for predictable repeat uses. If you buy a Brake Press machine, OSHA wants you to install a light curtain guarding system on it. If you are going to use a machine for a repeat operation, OSHA prefers that you use dual palm buttons if they can be reasonably accommodated, OSHA also wants you to figure out extra safety guards to reduce the danger from pinch points of the machine that your repeat part does not pass thru. This can take the form of a plexiglass/Lexan guard, metal mesh guard or electric light curtain. Visit the OSHA website for more info.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Remember: People have died or had hands cut off from past mistakes. Dont let that happen to you. [/FONT]

Rings and long sleeve shirts won't do you any good either.

we had a girl get scalped in woodshop...(70's)....long hair got caught..next thing you know. flop flop flop...

Had the same thing happen in my high school metal shop. Teacher told the cat to tuck his ponytail in his shirt but he didn't. He leaned over to look inside a bore he was doing and his hair got caught in the leadscrew for the carriage.
It wasn't a quick "Fwap", but a slow tear that stopped when another kid shut the lathe down. Ripped out a huge chunk of hair and about a 3" square of flesh.

Machines have no emotion and don't care what they are cutting, flesh and bone or stellite alloy.
Makes no difference to the machine.

And yeah, wearing gloves around any machine other than a welder is an accident waiting to happen.

Pretty unfortunate the guy got his hand ripped off do to bad policy. The only gloves allowed around any type of rotating or grabbing machinery are those super thin latex gloves which shred to pieces if they are even sneezed on.

Unfortunately some people have to learn safety lessons the hard way. They just can't comprehend the dangers of gloves, loose clothing or jewelry around machinery, especially rotating machinery. I had numerous comments on the YouTube videos I made on hand grinding, that I should have been wearing gloves to "protect" my hands. Thankfully, common sense prevailed and other viewers set them straight. I assigned my wedding ring to a permanent home in the tool box at an early age when I nearly lost my ring finger push starting a car of all things. The ring hooked over a canvas stud sticking out of the cowl just as the engine started. Luckily I was able to dive on the back of the car and unhook it before falling off. Now, it's no rings, long clothing or hair (no problem there) around any type of machinery.

On a humorous note, I was in a vocational welding class in high school and the instructor had repeatedly warned a student about wearing frayed jeans (bell bottoms) in the welding lab. One day the instructor was doing a gas welding demo and "accidentally" caught the kids pants on fire. You would never get away with something like that today, but I'll bet the kid with the frayed bell bottoms never forgot his practical lesson.

Tom

Back