ArizonaCNCKits PM833 conversion now avalible.

Read the thread - GREAT stuff. I have the same mill and have been thinking about fixing all the leaking oil entry points. When you fixed yours, were you able to just tap the hole and thread in a filling or did you have to drill it out first? Do you recall what size fittings you used? I am quite impressed with the copper tube work - class act! Also thinking about installing the kit when I have enough cash... Thank you!

I’ll admit that I started looking for info on CNC kits when I was doing research, with the knowledge that this was going to come out eventually. Looking forward to reviews and information from others that have made this journey before me.

Sorry for the wait. Still have a lot of things going on but I have the next couple of days off, Maybe I can get a couple of things done around the house... Like finish tramming in the mill so I can use it.....Thanks all for the compliments. As for what I needed for fittings and the line here are the parts off of amazon. I don't remember exactly why (it may have been that I needed to thread a fitting or two into a hole that was too big to thread M6x1.0) but if you look close all of the 90deg fittings are modified. The threads that normally have the compression nut on it, are the ones threaded into the casting and the M6 threads that normally serve that function are threaded into a straight fitting that was shortened, drilled and tapped to M6. Like I said it may have been I needed to do one or two that were going into a larger hole than normal and I just decided to do them all that way,,, Or I could have just been drunk that night.:dunno:

Any way, most of the holes were preexisting on the mill I just had to tap the inner holes to accept the fittings, the factory drills the holes and taps the outer portion so that a set screw can plug it to keep the way oil from gushing out all over the place. IIrc the only ones I had trouble with were the ones going to the x ways (the straight fittings on either side of the x ball screw) they had to be done by hand with a wrench. I didn't want to risk going thru over an inch of cast iron from the outside of the casting with a small M6 tap.

As for the ones on the Z slide the three main reasons for doing them the way I did was, 1. the slide is mounted upside down and that put the factory lube holes near the bottom of the gibs, as you know oil doesn't flow up hill very well. 2. To have done them like the factory I would have had to drill thru a lot of cast iron then try and tap a hole very close to the inside flat on the casting which has less clearance room than the ones on the x carriage. And finally 3. The factory oil system only forces oil to the surface that mates up agents the back flat of the column and doesn't really allow oil to get to the friction surface between the column and the gib. So when I drilled the new hole near the top of the z slide from the out side this let me put them in a location where I was able to mark and drill a hole thru the gib and put in some oil channels on both sides of the gib, allowing oil to get to the hole from the supply line side even after adjusting said gib and allow oil to distribute to the bearing surface that needs it. I also added in a channel on the non gib side of the slide to allow oil to distribute properly. Sorry I am not sure if I took any pictures of this, I will have to look and see what I have on my phone.

Side note... I will say if you think there will be any length of time that the mill will not be used (either manual or CNC), get a shutoff valve or two for the one shot. This way you can shut off the oil lines to keep the oil line from back feeding into the reservoir (mainly Z), or so that you will be able to pump until the bottom gets oil, then then shut it off until the top gets oil, this way you dont pump a bunch of oil onto the workbench/stand/floor like I did. I have found that after extended non use, the way oil in the line Z will drain back into the reservoir. Then when you pump the oiler the X/Y slide gets oil long before the Z does.

Last edited:
Well it was a typical weekend for me... The things I wanted to get done didn't get done, so basically the mill didn't get touched and still needs to finished being trammed in. But that said what did get done is my other lathe made it home. Still needs to be hooked up and leveled... It has a little bit of staining on the ways, I think it has something to do with the mist cooling the last owner was using. It has been sitting at my mother-in-laws for almost a year and I will finally be able to use it.... That said I have a Jet 12-40 under the tarp that needs to go, runs great and there is no rust on it at all even considering it sits in the carport. I keep both machines under a canvas tarps with large desiccant packs under the tarps to help keep the moisture in check . It doesn't hurt that I live in Phoenix Az and I keep the ways oiled, I don't wipe the ways dry with a rag, I just brush the chips off with a oil soaked brush.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/bvsWwukxTsiJwEJF8

Back