Argon Tank Sizing

Hi,

I am looking for a stick machine that I can TIG weld with. After buying the machine I will need to get a Argon tank. What size tank is generally used for home/hobby welders? How much gas is expended during X amount of welding time?

A good TIG power source should be able to stick weld. The finest stick machines that I have used are TIG power sources. The exception to this is that some of the newer inverter power sources don't like some stick electrodes.

I don't want to sound like a dick here.....do not use CO2 or CO2 mixes for GTAW welding. This is incorrect procedure. Some guys will claim it "works" but, if I rolled up 3 cylinders of gas next to a TIG machine and told a perspective employee to pick between Ar, Ar/He or a mix containing CO2 to weld stainless. One of those cylinders would end the interview.

I purchased a slew of cylinders from Craigslist. Be careful to identify COC (customer owned cylinders) from leased cylinders. Figuring approximate arc time including post flow is easy. At 20cfh devide cylinder capacity by 20 equals arc time.

https://www.praxairdirect.com/Indus...em-Information/Cylinder-Size-Information.html

The attachment will help identify size and ownership. Generally 80cf and less, possesion is ownership.

Attachments

• cylinder_sizing_poster_1-20-11.pdf
    170 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
I bought my own cylinders on Craigslist. I lucked out and got the big 300/330 CF cylinders more or less because that was what was available. In the Chicago area, Airgas wants $140 for a fill of 100% Argon, but if I go up to Milwaukee, the independent welding supply stores sell the same 330CF for only $60. At $60 for 330CF, you can do a lot of welding very cheaply.

GG

I bought my own cylinders on Craigslist. I lucked out and got the big 300/330 CF cylinders more or less because that was what was available. In the Chicago area, Airgas wants $140 for a fill of 100% Argon, but if I go up to Milwaukee, the independent welding supply stores sell the same 330CF for only $60. At $60 for 330CF, you can do a lot of welding very cheaply.

GG

Yep, Airgas put the pipe to me on a leased cylinder of C-15. Never again....not the most helpful individuals at the stores around here.

Back