Argon Tank Sizing

I bought the 250EXT with the water cooler..obviously. I upgraded to the ck 20 flex head torch with 25' cables/hoses and also upgraded to the SSC foot pedal. So far the machine has been great. Next month will be a year since I owned it. I have learned to TIG weld on this machine and am very pleased with it! I only regret not buying a plasma cutter when I did my financing.

sent from my campfire with smoke signals

sent from my campfire with smoke signals

AxeMaker,

Before you buy, I would encourage you to take a look at this welder : https://www.amazon.com/AHP-AlphaTIG...1481945294&sr=8-1&keywords=ahp+alpha+tig+200x
Several guys here have them and are pleased. I have one as well and a friend of mine also has one and we're both very happy with them. They are a lot of machine for the money and they are AC/DC machines, so you can weld aluminum more easily than trying to do it with DC. They come pretty well equipped with everything you need to start welding, aside from the consumables.

Also, as others here have already said, I would encourage you to get a fairly large Argon tank for two reasons. First is that it gets used up a lot faster than you'd expect and secondly, you really get worked over on the price of gas when refilling those small bottles.

Just some food for thought.

Ted

Also, there are several YouTube reviews on these machines, including one by Mr. Tig on the older model.

AxeMaker,

Before you buy, I would encourage you to take a look at this welder : https://www.amazon.com/AHP-AlphaTIG...1481945294&sr=8-1&keywords=ahp+alpha+tig+200x
Several guys here have them and are pleased. I have one as well and a friend of mine also has one and we're both very happy with them. They are a lot of machine for the money and they are AC/DC machines, so you can weld aluminum more easily than trying to do it with DC. They come pretty well equipped with everything you need to start welding, aside from the consumables.

Also, as others here have already said, I would encourage you to get a fairly large Argon tank for two reasons. First is that it gets used up a lot faster than you'd expect and secondly, you really get worked over on the price of gas when refilling those small bottles.

Just some food for thought.

Ted

Also, there are several YouTube reviews on these machines, including one by Mr. Tig on the older model.

Yes I had looked at that weld as well. I passed on it because of the efficiency rating, lack of water cooling, documentation, and warranty. Plus in order to do a business lease I need to spend at least $1k.

That being said... I just found a Square Wave™ TIG 200 Welder on the Lincoln web site... They have 10% off which makes it $1,259.00

So as far as features warranty, support etc... which welder would you all pick... the Everlast PowerTig 200DV or the Square Wave TIG 200 Welder from Lincoln?

Last edited:

That being said... I just found a Square Wave™ TIG 200 Welder on the Lincoln web site... They have 10% off which makes it $1,259.00

So as far as features warranty, support etc... which welder would you all pick... the Everlast PowerTig 200DV or the Square Wave TIG 200 Welder from Lincoln?

I just talked to Oleg , he gave me good prices on the 250EX and 200DV . Better than what I paid ...lol I can't post the price , i'll PM it to you . You mentioned water cooling ...if u decide to go that route I can give you pics and a part list for the water cooler i built, it's a very simple reservoir design. I've got about $160 in it and i've got well over a hundred hours on it ...One large job involved a few 8 hour days of steady welding at 225 amps , never overheated . Good luck with whatever you get !

Last edited:

I didn't realize that you intend to use this welder commercially. I'm not sure that any of these welders we're talking about here are considered industrial quality machines. I realize you have a budget to consider, but if your intention is to put a lot of hours on a TIG welder, warranty and service may be an important factor. I would also consider water cooling as very important for a TIG machine that will see a lot of use (I don't believe the Lincoln Square Wave TIG 200 has that capability). I have used and owned many industrial quality machines mostly from Miller and Lincoln and they were all good quality equipment although they really aren't a fair comparison to these small, portable machines. But, you've got to start somewhere and you can always upgrade in the future if you need to.

Ted

Any TIG welder can be run with water cooling . It is the torch cable and return hose plumbing that coolant runs thru, independent of the machine .
Yes, some machines may not have a switched power outlet on back to auto turn on/off a water cooler but you can get around that easy enough, either simple manually or with a relay .

Any TIG welder can be run with water cooling . It is the torch cable and return hose plumbing that coolant runs thru, independent of the machine .
Yes, some machines may not have a switched power outlet on back to auto turn on/off a water cooler but you can get around that easy enough, either simple manually or with a relay .

Yes, you are correct about being able to add water cooling. I was thinking more along the lines of industrial type machines that have internal automatic control for the water cooled torches.

Ted

I didn't realize that you intend to use this welder commercially. I'm not sure that any of these welders we're talking about here are considered industrial quality machines. I realize you have a budget to consider, but if your intention is to put a lot of hours on a TIG welder, warranty and service may be an important factor. I would also consider water cooling as very important for a TIG machine that will see a lot of use (I don't believe the Lincoln Square Wave TIG 200 has that capability). I have used and owned many industrial quality machines mostly from Miller and Lincoln and they were all good quality equipment although they really aren't a fair comparison to these small, portable machines. But, you've got to start somewhere and you can always upgrade in the future if you need to.

Ted

The company is buying it for very small internal tig jobs from time to time. I wont be producing anything for sale or services with it.

I have ended up leasing a Everlast PowerTig 250EX. I might end up throwing in the water cooler too if it doesn't jack up the monthly payment too much.

Back