Argon Tank Sizing

AxeMaker

Registered
Registered
Hi,

I am looking for a stick machine that I can TIG weld with. After buying the machine I will need to get a Argon tank. What size tank is generally used for home/hobby welders? How much gas is expended during X amount of welding time?

you may experience 15 to 25 CFH dependent on material welded
i have a 40cf ([75/25] argon/CO2), a 122cf (argon) and a 250cf ([Tri-Mix]Argon/CO2/He) tanks in my shop
depending on how much you weld, you may be able to get away with smaller tanks like the 40cf-
but you can go thru them in a couple hours of intense welding.
i go thru a bit of tri-mix, hence the 250cf bottle- i get it filled once a year-
usually in the summer for some reason, is when it seems to run out.

I think around 200cf +- will be the best to get. Its a big and heavy bottle but you will be a lot happier with it in the long run, as You will go through a lot of gas getting started.

I bought my tanks 4 total ,actually called lifetime lease, a looong time ago 20 +yrs ago in TX. the receipt got lost along time ago, and tanks got mixed with lease ones I think in AR.
All I can say is when you exchange them make sure the new ones don't have the company name on the ring under the valve, those are lease tanks in CA. the ring shouldn't have anything on lifetime lease tanks , could be a state thing TX. AR. Doesn't matter ,
When I moved to CA. I had to buy three of them again :mad:.
My tig seems to use a lot of argon I got a 300 cf for it .
75/25 , oxy/acy are 120cf
Mike what is the tri mix used for ?.

actually called lifetime lease

Guess I've been around a lifetime. Same deal when I bought oxy/act tanks 30yrs ago. Now I'm good for another lifetime.lol. Get the biggest one you have room for, and I would be inclined to buy outright if possible, only hurts once. All my other tanks came with used machines I purchased. If it's like around here, some will fill anybody's tank, some not so much. I use the former for any tanks of dubious origins. Mike

Last edited:
I bought the AHP Alpha 200x AC/DC Tig/Stick welder this summer and really like it. It got good reviews with Jody and Mr. Tig. For a 150 amp AC/DC Tig it can't be beat.
I bought my Argon tank for the Tig and another Ar/Co2 mix for my wire feed. Both are 200cf and cost $175 each. Plus whatever gas goes for in your area.
So far I have not used much Argon, since I haven't done much Aluminum welding.
Mostly used up Ar/Co2 welding steel. still have over half a tank.
At 15 to 20 cfh it lasts quite a while so long you don't have any leaks.

Make sure when you get your bottle of pure Argon, you make sure that is exactly what it is.
Found out the hard way you cannot weld Aluminum with Ar/Co2 mix. :eek 2:

Get the largest tank you are able to transport back and forth to the LWS . TIG uses alot of gas, I cant tell you X hours = X CF of argon . A 120/140 CF will run out very fast, especially while learning... but they are good to have one around as a spare (you WILL run out when the LWS is closed) . I run a 300 CF but it is a beast to move around if you're older . How far are you from the LWS ? If you get chummy with them they will often deliver to your house . The guy here comes to my house and swaps tanks for $10 extra, cant beat that. So, if you can swing it, buy a 300 CF...you wont regret it . If that's to heavy get a 200 . And you want straight Argon for TIG , not Ar/Co2 . Many of the TIG machines out there will do stick . I have an Everlast 250EX , alot of people have this model and are happy with it, you're pretty much covered for a home shop . . Oleg is pretty good with product support too .
Lastly, do you have a buddy with a TIG ? If so, see if you can get some seat time to try it. Not to discourage you but there is a fairly steep learning curve with TIG , very much like learning a musical instrument. You can buy one, but you've gotta put in the seat time. It takes about 6 mos to a year to get halfway decent with it.
Good luck !

1ArgonTank.jpg

I bought the AHP Alpha 200x AC/DC Tig/Stick welder this summer and really like it. It got good reviews with Jody and Mr. Tig. For a 150 amp AC/DC Tig it can't be beat.
I bought my Argon tank for the Tig and another Ar/Co2 mix for my wire feed. Both are 200cf and cost $175 each. Plus whatever gas goes for in your area.
So far I have not used much Argon, since I haven't done much Aluminum welding.
Mostly used up Ar/Co2 welding steel. still have over half a tank.
At 15 to 20 cfh it lasts quite a while so long you don't have any leaks.

Make sure when you get your bottle of pure Argon, you make sure that is exactly what it is.
Found out the hard way you cannot weld Aluminum with Ar/Co2 mix. :eek 2:

Mike,

Were you tanks purchased locally or ordered? I have not seen tank prices that low in the metro Atlanta area (yet). But admittedly I have not done a very diligent search.

Everyone,

Thanks for the advice and info. I will look for at least a #4 255cf tank. +1 on the pure argon.
Can you weld steel etc... with pure argon or will I need two tanks?

I have been looking at the EVERLAST PowerARC 200ST 200amp which is $350.00 Free Shipping on Amazon or... If I buy it from HomeDepot for $360 I can buy their 3 year warranty for $60.00 more.

Another model at Home Depot I was looking at is the Everlast Poweri-TIG 200 TIG / Stick Welder @ $664.99.

AMAZON has it $100 cheaper.

68a349b3-c799-432b-91e0-010136a42530_1000.jpg

Last edited:
I bought an 80 CF (Q) size bottle for my little inverter tig welder.
It is sufficient for maybe 3-4 hrs weld time +/-. I guess it depends how much welding you plan to do. For me the 80 is a managable size to haul down into the shop approx 7" dia x36" tall and has lasted me anywhere frim 6 months to 2yrs. Again all depends how high you have the gas flow set, how often you start/stop (post flow uses gas)
I only use mine here and there to glue small stuff together or make repairs. Btw Yes I have a bungee cord around the tank holding onto the cart.
e350f4ddbd278dce489178c148f8e918.jpgc5f7be77311c50f163bdf8dce58515fe.jpg
Forgot to mention- I have an Airgas location 15min from my house. They take visa over the counter without setting up an account. I'm sure the price I pay for exchange is outrageous but fortunately for low volume use the convenience is worth it. Last time it was $65. I traded in a 20CF harbor freight cylinder I originally had plus cash to go to the 80 size.

Last edited:
You can do alot with that little machine. I dont know what torch they'll give you but a CK17 flex head or a CK26 are nice torches . People complain that the 26 is too clunky but it's not too bad . The CK26 is not that much bigger than a 17 , and you can go a little longer before your fingers start roasting. Over here I pay $75 for a 300CF Argon refill at the LWS . I also have an Airgas about 10 mins away but the small shops usually are better . Good luck with whatever your get .
~Steve

Back