Are galvanised corrugated panels safe to put on the inside walls of a work shed?

Jon i have to agree with Jim on welding on a conductive surface. Even damp concrete will give you the odd zap, not harmful but annoying.
One thing that comes to mind right away is having something hot fall on the floor, say something you just cut with an oxy acetalene torch. The stainless will transfer the heat to the wood beneath and possibly start a fire you can't see or detect the smoke from until its too late. I'd be more comfortable welding on the wooden floor myself. Concrete is your best bet, or even plain old dirt.

Greg
Thanks everyone,
i have 2 by 4 and 3 by 5 sheets just lying on top of the double plywood floor.
I totally understand and thank you for warning me.
I am new to forging. Done twice in shed and dfopped on floor without the metal, and picking it up quickly was not easy with gloves and tongs.
I plan on learning Rc welding as soon as i get the basics on forging with my propane forge.
if the hardiboard with a wood texture( 1/8" thick) is place on the walls in the shed four feet high from the floor up, and stops placed in etween every beam to prevent anything from getting behind the hardiboard.
Would it then be safe to learn to Arc weld on the woodenfloor below you?
i have a small portable welding table I plan on using.
Thank you all ,
jon

Thanks for all the great advice.
I looked at HD and found a 1/8" thick 4' by 8'
hardieboard, with a wood texture on one side.
Is this the product which was recomended by Xalky and Greg and others?
Thanks,
jon

Jon, I couldn't say a wooden floor was safe to weld on, I meant sheet metal over wood could be a very dangerous combination for the reasons mentioned. As with anything we do you have to look at the environment your in, weigh the dangers and assess and minimize the risks.
Anywhere a spark can contact a combustable material there is the potential of unwanted fire.
I think hardieboard is a trade name, if its made of cement it should be non-combustible.
Without seeing your particular shop there's no way someone can tell if its safe.

Greg

Thanks for all the great advice.
I looked at HD and found a 1/8" thick 4' by 8'
hardieboard, with a wood texture on one side.
Is this the product which was recomended by Xalky and Greg and others?
Thanks,
jon
I would think that it's thicker than 1/8", Probably more like .250. The Hardie website shows the panel thickness at .312"

http://www.jameshardie.com/ Heres' the link to the site. You can click on the products link. All the products are basically made of the same material for different applications, the mechanical/combustability properties are pretty much the same across the entire product line. Sometimes you can get the tile backer version in 4x8 sheets, but more often I've seen it in 3x5 sheets. 3x5 work fine for floors with plywood already there, but can be a pain to use on studs since the sheets won't land on the standard stud spacing.

Thanks everyone,

Would it then be safe to learn to Arc weld on the woodenfloor below you?
i have a small portable welding table I plan on using.
Thank you all ,
jon

For about 20 years I had to weld over my wood deck on my houseboat. My way around the problem was to flood the deck with water before, during, and after welding. Then maintain a fire watch for several hours after. Same thing welding in saw mills, normally company policy is a 6 to 8 hour fire watch after welding. In general, I would not recommend welding over a wood floor if it can be avoided. I was in HD the other day and noticed they has some kind of cement board in about 1/2 inch thick sheets, tile underlayment I think. That might make a reasonable floor in your shop. You also want to seal the edges where it meets the wall so sparks can't get in there, silicone calking works well for this.

I would think that it's thicker than 1/8", Probably more like .250. The Hardie website shows the panel thickness at .312"

http://www.jameshardie.com/ Heres' the link to the site. You can click on the products link. All the products are basically made of the same material for different applications, the mechanical/combustability properties are pretty much the same across the entire product line. Sometimes you can get the tile backer version in 4x8 sheets, but more often I've seen it in 3x5 sheets. 3x5 work fine for floors with plywood already there, but can be a pain to use on studs since the sheets won't land on the standard stud spacing.
Thanks,
all I can find at homedepot is the hardie backer board for walls and floors in 1/4" and heavy 1/2" with lines for tile layout. any idea who has the textured boards?
thanks alot,
jon

Any decent lumber yard should have it or be able to get it in. Shop around. What was the 1/8" product that you were talking about?

Any decent lumber yard should have it or be able to get it in. Shop around. What was the 1/8" product that you were talking about?
That product was a mistake.
I found a contracter supply that can order 48. For 4 by 8 and 62. For 4 by 10
sierra 6 vertical aiding panels 5/16" thick
I found the hardie backer board for tile in 3 by 5 and will use over plywood floor and take away ss panels when starting to learn to arc weld.
I hope the hardie backer will stand up to walking and working on it.
Is 1/4 ok for the floor over the plywood?
thanks,
jon

I would think the 1/4" would be sufficient in the floor. You don't even need to fasten it to the floor, but you might want to screw in the 4 corners just to make sure the joints don't open up on ya. It's pretty tough stuff especially when it's backed by 3/4" plywood. There's a slim possibility of cracking one if you dropped something very heavy on it, but I've never seen it happen.

Jon, I would think the cement board should wear fairly well on the floor, its pretty tough, a bear to cut with an abrasive wheel in the skill saw. You mentioned you had two layers of plywood, that should support it just fine. I plan to back it with 7/16 Aspenite on my walls for impacts.
The textured material I got was free, free textured beats smooth that I'd have to pay for. When I was planing on buying it I was looking at the smooth tile backer.

Greg

Back