Are galvanised corrugated panels safe to put on the inside walls of a work shed?

O

ome

Forum Guest
Register Today
Hi Guys,
I want to learn to arc weld and forge weld, and want to put some metal panels up on the walls so the sparks wont hit the wood panels of the walls of the shed.
I know welding galv is a no no, but will the sparks burn and cause toxic gas from the galvanised surface?
thanks in advance,
ome

Ome I think your panels would be fine to use in this situation. Is this corrugated gal steel? The sparks and spatter arent going to carry enough heat to burn the galvanising off

Cheers Phil

Ome I think your panels would be fine to use in this situation. Is this corrugated gal steel? The sparks and spatter arent going to carry enough heat to burn the galvanising off

Cheers Phil
Hi Phil,
My local home depots do not carry the corr galv roofing panels.
Menards has , bug shipping is more than the product.
My question is , will .032 aluminum sheets work on the walls up to 4 feet high and to the floor.
Is there any type of aluminum I need to avoid. Cheapest panels are 3' by 4' and 35.00 a sheet plus shipping.
Thanks,
jon

When I added "welding" to my shop, my insurance company required us to install metal panels(aluminum or steel) spaced 1" off of the wall for an airspace. We also left them 1 inch off of the floor to make sure nothing could fall behind and get caught. I think that either galv steel or alum would be fine. The sparks will just hit the metal and fall down off of them. This is also what they wanted us to do behind the wood burner when we installed that.

I used them for my foundry.

12%2B-%2B2.jpg

They are fine when splashed with bronze and aluminum. I'm sure they would be fine for welding. Some minimal zinc fumes won't hurt you anyway.
The only thing I would not do is weld directly on them.
R

12%2B-%2B2.jpg

12%2B-%2B2.jpg

I wouldn't worry about sparks hitting the zinc but the reflection of the arc might be a problem or at least an annoyance. If your between the weld and the shinny panels the arc will be reflecting into the back side of your helmet, then off the lens surface to your eyes.
What about cement board sheets that are used behind tile. Totally fireproof and can be mounted directly to the existing wall.
I was just given 28 4x8 sheets of cement siding for a house, same as the baking board except this has a wood grain embossed on the surface. Plan to line the blacksmith shop / foundry with it as soon as the weather warms up.

Greg

I second Greg's suggestion. Commonly called Hardiboard in these parts. It's a Whitish color , not the heavy gray concrete stuff. HD sells it in the tile section.

I wouldn't worry about sparks hitting the zinc but the reflection of the arc might be a problem or at least an annoyance. If your between the weld and the shinny panels the arc will be reflecting into the back side of your helmet, then off the lens surface to your eyes.
What about cement board sheets that are used behind tile. Totally fireproof and can be mounted directly to the existing wall.
I was just given 28 4x8 sheets of cement siding for a house, same as the baking board except this has a wood grain embossed on the surface. Plan to line the blacksmith shop / foundry with it as soon as the weather warms up.

Greg
Thanks Greg,
do u think the stainless steel panels I put on the wooden floor will be a problem when doing any welding?
thanks,
jon

Thanks Greg,
do u think the stainless steel panels I put on the wooden floor will be a problem when doing any welding?
thanks,
jon

I hate standing on a conducting surface when I'm welding. If everything is dry it OK, but I still don't like it. Having said that, I have done a lot of welding hanging from metal catwalks and metal ladders in the rain, or laying in a mud hole welding on heavy equipment in the field.

A metal floor gets really slick if it gets a little oil on it. I would think the cement board would be a better choice, but maybe not as durable.

Jon i have to agree with Jim on welding on a conductive surface. Even damp concrete will give you the odd zap, not harmful but annoying.
One thing that comes to mind right away is having something hot fall on the floor, say something you just cut with an oxy acetalene torch. The stainless will transfer the heat to the wood beneath and possibly start a fire you can't see or detect the smoke from until its too late. I'd be more comfortable welding on the wooden floor myself. Concrete is your best bet, or even plain old dirt.

Greg

Back