Anyone using a Porta-Band type saw as a their vertical bandsaw?

I have never been happy with my Dunlap vertical band saw. It was a wood bandsaw that I put a 30:1 speed reducer on. That cut the sfm down to under 100 to around 200 depending on which pulley I am using. My 3x6 horizontal with a 14 tpi blade running at 133 sfm just slices through whatever I want to cut. So I got a 14 tpi blade for the vertical. It doesn't cut anything worth a darn. Rarely use it. I might convert it back to wood. Looking for ideas on this thread

Thinking about the problem a little more in relation to the cutting tools that I own and the work that I've needed to do.
Bandsaws:
4x6 horizontal bandsaw for cutting stock into lengths, been a great tool.
14" vertical bandsaw (supposedly wood & metal but SFM is high for metal) Does fine in non-ferrous and ferrous under 1/8"
Plasma cutter nothing to say except wow.
Oxy/acetylene nothing needs to be said here.
Angle grinder Ugh. Tool of last resort for me.
Tablesaw. Recently added a non-ferrous blade to cut aluminum panels for CNC. Cuts 1/4" aluminum like buttah!

I think I just need to slow the vertical bandsaw down and it will be fine for profile cuts in steel.

I know a lot of you guys wouldn't be seen with some of my contraptions but that's OK. To each his own.
Darn tootin! Ya can't argue with success my friend!

Thinking about the problem a little more in relation to the cutting tools that I own and the work that I've needed to do.
Bandsaws:
4x6 horizontal bandsaw for cutting stock into lengths, been a great tool.
14" vertical bandsaw (supposedly wood & metal but SFM is high for metal) Does fine in non-ferrous and ferrous under 1/8"
Plasma cutter nothing to say except wow.
Oxy/acetylene nothing needs to be said here.
Tablesaw. Recently added a non-ferrous blade to cut aluminum panels for CNC. Cuts 1/4" aluminum like buttah!

I think I just need to slow the vertical bandsaw down and it will be fine for profile cuts in steel.
I recently converted an older Rockwell wood bandsaw for use on metal.

I copied the middle speed on my Startrite H175 horizontal metal cutting bandsaw to be sure I was in a good cutting speed range. While the saw is still a low end saw it cuts aluminum and mild steel fine when using a 10-14 variable pitch blade. So far the thickest I've cut is 3/8". It cuts as well and as fast as the horizontal saw.

Yup, only because I spent 8yrs doing in the field fab where it was my primary tool did I get used to it. Now with all the tools you mention plus my stationary jig saw and die grinder it gets very little use. But there things it does that the others don’t.

I use a angle grinder near daily at work. For some it’s a last resort but it will cut anything as long as you have time and blades. I have to stop myself at home and use one of the saws. Plasma only gets pulled out for a lot of cutting or long cuts on sheet stock.
My vertical has a variable pulley. Very easy to adjust speed might wanna look into something like that. I believe it’s a common design.

I use a angle grinder near daily at work. For some it’s a last resort but it will cut anything as long as you have time and blades. I have to stop myself at home and use one of the saws. Plasma only gets pulled out for a lot of cutting or long cuts on sheet stock.
My vertical has a variable pulley. Very easy to adjust speed might wanna look into something like that. I believe it’s a common design.
variable is a reeves drive. the pulley spreads apart or gets closer.. Old time, but quite good. I know there are woodworkers turners (lathe) that tell me too much vibration they won't use it. I have one on my lathe, I don't see the vibration I don't see it.

Back