Anyone using a Porta-Band type saw as a their vertical bandsaw?

DavidR8

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Here's my dilemma: I have an import wood/metal vertical bandsaw and a 7x24 horizontal bandsaw. The horizontal is great, cuts square etc.
The vertical is just OK. I managed to tune it up so that it cuts ok but it's underpowered and the table and trunnions are pretty feeble cast aluminum affairs.
For wood it's just barely OK.
I'd consider getting rid of it in favour of a Porta-band type saw and a table so that I can have a proper wood bandsaw instead of trying to make the one I have do double-duty. But I wonder what capability I might be trading away...

I have a Milwaukee Port-A-Band in a Swag stand.
FED62483-ABAA-466F-BD32-2B9D5D701A06.jpeg

It is the least helpful and effective of all my shop power tools. It cuts agonizingly slow, and I’ve tried 6 different blade types. The throat configuration really limits the size/type of material you can feed through the blade.

I would encourage you to consider another type of solution, including replacing both your band saws with a new version that will function in either horizontal or vertical mode. Or a cold saw. I have a Dewalt cold saw that I use all the time for everything from aluminum to 304 stainless, and have it mounted on a roll-around bench. Some details of that are here.

Thanks @davidpbest I used a Porta-Band a lot to cut metal cable racks when I was building out telecom facilities and they seemed OK. But that was unknownium metal so maybe not representative use.
I'm not aware of a convertible mode saw. I have a table for my horizontal saw but it's a complete pain to use so I can't imagine that's a solution.
I was looking at the new Evolution 7-1/4" metal saw in the recent KBC catalog. Maybe I need to investigate that a bit more.

Love your metalworking cart!

Not sure I can be of much help but I'll be watching. I have my dad's old Craftsman with a speed reducer and it works pretty well as long as I don't push it too hard but unfortunately it's 2000 miles away right now. I have a very cute little Walker Turner 12" that I'm hoping to make into a decent saw for cutting small pieces.

The thing I'd ask about your current setup is how slow can you make it run and what blades have you tried? Speed and tooth pitch make a huge difference with bandsaws so it might make sense to experiment a little more before you give up.

Of course, if you have the space start shopping for a cheap DoAll. I'd love to have a real proper metal cutting vertical saw but that will have to wait until my shop grows quite a bit. BTW, I know you don't have much more space than I have so getting double duty out of whatever you have will help a lot. FWIW I haven't had much trouble cutting wood at a slower speed, just takes longer.

John

@davidpbest Do you cut solid stock with your metal saw?

Not sure I can be of much help but I'll be watching. I have my dad's old Craftsman with a speed reducer and it works pretty well as long as I don't push it too hard but unfortunately it's 2000 miles away right now. I have a very cute little Walker Turner 12" that I'm hoping to make into a decent saw for cutting small pieces.

The thing I'd ask about your current setup is how slow can you make it run and what blades have you tried? Speed and tooth pitch make a huge difference with bandsaws so it might make sense to experiment a little more before you give up.

Of course, if you have the space start shopping for a cheap DoAll. I'd love to have a real proper metal cutting vertical saw but that will have to wait until my shop grows quite a bit. BTW, I know you don't have much more space than I have so getting double duty out of whatever you have will help a lot. FWIW I haven't had much trouble cutting wood at a slower speed, just takes longer.

John
Thanks John, I will definitely check but I think I have the blade at the lowest possible speed. Haven't tried a bunch of different blades yet so there may be some performance to be gained.

Thanks John, I will definitely check but I think I have the blade at the lowest possible speed. Haven't tried a bunch of different blades yet so there may be some performance to be gained.
What is the lowest possible speed?

If it's not on a speed reducer it might not be slow enough for metal. I'll bet you can figure out a way to get it slower, I'm planning a DC motor with speed control for my new/old saw. Either that or maybe a little 3 phase with VFD.

John

What is the lowest possible speed?

If it's not on a speed reducer it might not be slow enough for metal. I'll bet you can figure out a way to get it slower, I'm planning a DC motor with speed control for my new/old saw. Either that or maybe a little 3 phase with VFD.

John
Blades are simple, 3 teeth on the workpiece, can't always get there so super fine for sheet metal.

What's the saw doing when you try cutting the pieces you have?

John

I like my little Milwaukee portaband in a table. It does a pretty good job. But I have a large sheet of Aluminum that it is too small to cut.
I'll probably setup in the garage to cut using a circular saw. its 6061 -6051 precision sheet.
I might make some 1 foot by 4 foot panels.

Back