Anyone Use This Bit Centering / Aligment Gadget?

Gee ! Ive been using lathes for 65 yrs. I never knew I needed one of them there whiz bang gizmos.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You don't. I got mine for free from G.M. or I wouldn't have one either.

"Billy G"

I use a steel rule as the folks above do. After that I will take a trial face cut. If the cut cleans the face completely you are there. If the face cut leaves a pointed tit (>) the tool is too high and needs to be lowered. If it leaves a square tit (-) the tool is too low and needs to be raised. Once this is done you are usually good to go for a long time as long as the cutter stays in the tool holder and not changed out. Takes about 5-10 minutes.

Save your money and don't buy the gimic tool.

i have one, got it from the ebay store bob suggested above a couple years ago!

Mike, I just ordered one myself. For little more than the cost of lunch at Mc D's, it will save me the hassle of making my own.

Bob

I'm sure it would work. But its a complex solution to a simple problem, IMHO.

I'll continue to just use my steel rule pinched against the stock to determine height. or just observe the tool right as it reaches zero on facing. Or just measure the height above the compound surface with my caliper. bet there's a couple more methods I'm not thinking of.

Karl

That was the way I was taught. I would pinch my scale then walk back to tailstock to see if the scale was straight up or tilted.

Thanks Guys, I always go for the tit too. I think I'll get one anyways to dazzle newbs with and to check against my method for curiosity.

I'm sure it would work. But its a complex solution to a simple problem, IMHO.

I'll continue to just use my steel rule pinched against the stock to determine height. or just observe the tool right as it reaches zero on facing. Or just measure the height above the compound surface with my caliper. bet there's a couple more methods I'm not thinking of.

Karl
Like this? This is how I was taught 40 years ago. Top leaning right, lower the tool. Top leaning left raise the tool. And great for finding center...Bob

268.JPG

Back