Anyone Use This Bit Centering / Aligment Gadget?

I would save your money. It’s just another toy. I have been eye balling the tool height for 50 years and NEVER had a problem. When I face, I do take the time to totally remove that tit…Dave.

The lathe does not need to be level for this tool to work. It does not need it. The vial level is only to let you know when you have hit dead center between the cutter and the work piece. It is not used as a level per-say. It just lets you know when you are straight.

"Billy G"

The thin steel rule is quite enough for getting a bit on center.

The lathe does not need to be level for this tool to work. It does not need it. The vial level is only to let you know when you have hit dead center between the cutter and the work piece. It is not used as a level per-say. It just lets you know when you are straight.

"Billy G"
The level vial is comparing to an earth reference so if the lathe is tilted front to back, the vial will not center the bit ion the spindle axis. If you have leveled your lathe then fine, if not, I would calibrate the tool by checking a known good setup. (Actually, I would check it against a known good setup anyway because there is no guarantee that the tool is accurate out of the box)

Bob

It is not comparing an earth reference or any reference to the lathe bed.. It is just making sure the two points are on the same plane. Ask the manufacturer he will agree with me. I have used one of these on both level and unlevel lathes. The results are the same. The tool is on center every time.

"Billy G"

Last edited by a moderator:
In the picture above it is actually showing the tool/thing being used incorrectly! The top or corner of the carbide insert is resting on that angled side. The little flat ledge on the tool/thing should be resting on the top of the insert. And it’s not that big a deal, but every time you go and use this thing, you have to crank the cross slide out and then back in. I see unnecessary wear on the feed screw, nut and gibb…Dave.

Last edited:

"Billy G"
How would you use it on a ship then?

Let's just agree to disagree. How long have you owned and used one of these? I have had mine for 15 years. It's not a new invention. I won't discuss this any further. To the OP, my apologies for this disruption.

"Billy G"

Use of the steel rule works in any situation. Just visually make sure the steel rule is vertical to the bed of the lathe.Why spend money when you don't need to?

Back