Anyone still using the old style lantern holders ?

Maybe I'll just hold on to them after seeing this . The buyer may need a set ! :big grin: I love his last sentence in the description ! :rolleyes:
A bargain at twice the price!
I see crazy ebay buyer.... look at the price... INSANE seller.

only needs motor???? Only needs everything but the chuck and bed.
What a joke. but at 9,350.00 it's a bargain.
Dunlop? maybe its for making tires ---

When I got my 9" Monarch Jr., it came with a set of Armstrong holders, after getting it running and working on some small parts, it came to realize and remember what a PIYA they are to use, especially in adjusting center height; I soon ordered a set of QC Aloris type.
I have to come to the wine country to see your shop!
A 9” Monarch calls to me.

I use my lantern tool post all the time on my small lathe. I love it. Quickly grind a HSS toll and start cutting. Quick and easy.

I’m not getting rid of mine, got a good selection of Armstrong holders and the lantern with my 12x36.

Is the BXA easier, yes it is. But I’m sure there will be a time I’m glad to have the lantern.

John

I still use the lantern post on my 14 1/2 inch South Bend. The 36 inch Lodge and Shipley came with one as well. I haven't decided if I'll keep in on that machine when I get it going or not.

I have used "The Bishop" to get me out of all kinds of turning problems. I have a really nice set of tooling to go with it and I keep it in the special drawer until I run out of options for a planned operation(s). It has saved me too many times to sell it for the small amount it would bring....there is nothing that can't be done with it. Recently I made a top closing arm for an Aloris QCTP and had to make adjustments to adjust the clocking. I was using the QCTP post screw as an arbor in a collet and had to use The Bishop to get 'er done...saved the day!

I have not used mine since I got a QC but I am saving them for when ( if ) the QC proves to be inadequate in the future.

Here's the way I look at it Mr. chucker . I could buy a shaper for $700 and store it in the garage for a couple years . I could then sell it AND the lantern crap with it as a package deal for $500 . I'll be way ahead of the game . ( I do this on a high volume basis thus I make the big bucks in the end ) o_O
You should become a politician in your retirement. You already are familiar with the kind of math they use.

As a side note I do have several Williams and Armstrong lantern post tool holders and use them on occasion. I have a few for my Seneca Falls 10" lathe, and some for my AMMCO shaper. As RJSakowski mentioned they do work better in some tight places. They don't get used all that often, but often enough that they are worth keeping.

Last edited:
Back