Anyone still using the old style lantern holders ?

mmcmdl

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Or are these holders dinosaurs these days ?

Adam Booth abom79 uses them all the times on his big lathe. Whenever he uses HSS he holds a holder in his qctp holder.
As someone with an AXA that's not going to happen for me.... but guys with CXA and up should be able to use them for their HSS.

As far as the POST itself... a relic of the past. Guys that have got shapers may need the post if it didn't come with their shaper.

As far as the POST itself... a relic of the past. Guys that have got shapers may need the post if it didn't come with their shaper.
The post is long gone , given away to a member . I have 2 of the old time boring bar holders and 15 or so of the original bars . I'm also staring at 15 or so holders . Just wondering . I like the idea of the usage in a shaper , maybe I should get one 'eh ? :big grin:

Haven't used a lantern since the early 80's

Haven't used a lantern since the early 80's
Me either , other than camping . :big grin: I have used the split grooving/parting blade holders and the threading holder once or twice in the past , but it may have been back in the 80s .

When I got my 9" Monarch Jr., it came with a set of Armstrong holders, after getting it running and working on some small parts, it came to realize and remember what a PIYA they are to use, especially in adjusting center height; I soon ordered a set of QC Aloris type.

I did make a lantern type tool post for my 19" Regal, as sometimes there is not room for the bulk of the Aloris CA tool post, it looks nice on the shelf, but I have not used it yet.

The post is long gone , given away to a member . I have 2 of the old time boring bar holders and 15 or so of the original bars . I'm also staring at 15 or so holders . Just wondering . I like the idea of the usage in a shaper , maybe I should get one 'eh ? :big grin:
I thought you were cleaning out... Oh, cleaning out to fit more tools... I don't know anyone here that can relate to that ... do you?

Back