Anyone still using the old style lantern holders ?

Running a Craftsman/Atlas 12X36, I normally use an AXA QCTP. BUT, there is the rare occasion where the lantern post is a better "fit" for what I'm working on. One that comes to mind is when I was cutting down disk brake rotors to get the hub and a small flange, scrapping the outer part of the rotor. Wheels for a large scale model train. . . I'm sure the outer part could be used somewhere, but the scrapping was a "political" move as much as anything. I couldn't find anything that would reach into the recess on the cast iron rotors so reverted to a lantern post. I don't keep a "proper" selection of tool holders, just what I got with the machine. And one I bought, used. They just sit there in case they are ever needed.

I rarely use mine. But when I need it it is the only thing that works. The last time I used it I needed to make the base of my norman QCTP flat and 90 degrees to the post. The only thing that would fit in the tight space without hitting the chuck was the lantern with an angled tool holder. It was the right tool for the job.

People bad mouth the lantern tool holders. But they did the job for decades. And are still being used when the need arises. Winky's Workshop has several videos on making an improved version.

The 4 way tool holders also get bad mouthed frequently. Yet they can be a great time saver when set up properly. I have been toying with making one for my norman QCTP. I mostly use 4 tool bits. Turning, threading, boring and parting. One of these days I will put some time into it to see what I can come up with.

This thread makes me feel old. I got started on a 4-way post, and remembered how amazing it was to go to a lantern post, and not have to play the "shim game" as much. When I got the first lathe for my garage-shop, I remember seeing a Quick Change Tool Post (QTCP) as an option and ordered it without a moment's hesitation. I had one of those "where have you been all my life" moments when I saw it.

I have my lantern tool holders, tool post and rocker carefully stored away in a cigar box waiting for that time when they fit the task better than a QCTP. I have not touched them in years.

Back