Anyone Recognize This Surface Grinder

The tipoff should have been the opposing cones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

F350,
I have a grinder similar to yours. Belt driven...

I have just started the tear down and clean up.

When you replaced your belt, did you just go to the parts store and get a belt that matched up?

Looking at my pulley, it is shiny in the bottom. I think I need a bit wider belt to ride more on the side of the pulley.

I thought the motor had a bad bearing, but now I think it is just the belt being old and not wanting to bend around the pulley. I took the motor off and opened it up. But found no evidence of a bad bearing.

toolman_ar

The old belt was in rough shape but I could still read the length so just replaced it with one from the hardware store. Wish I could remember the length. If your belt is worn it would ride on the bottom of the pulley, a new standard one might fix the problem
A wider belt will be stiffer and might cause vibrations.
Found that book too brino, haven't had time to read much of it yet but looks like it could be useful, Thanks

Greg

Greg,
I can still read my belt numbers.

And will try and post them for reference.

Will try the new standard belt and see where it rides.

Thank you for your help!

toolman_ar

Hello F350ca
Did the grinder turn out to be a 110v 1ph or a 220 3ph?

I am currently trying to buy a 110V out of Quebec privately, but my french isn't so good, so we aren't coming to terms yet. (but hopeful).

Hello F350ca
Did the grinder turn out to be a 110v 1ph or a 220 3ph?

I am currently trying to buy a 110V out of Quebec privately, but my french isn't so good, so we aren't coming to terms yet. (but hopeful).

This one is 220 volt 3 phase, from what I gather most are 3 phase. I've read in posts that the pulses from a single phase motor will affect the finish. Maybe but I find it hard to believe, if its a 3600 rpm motor theres 6 poles so 360 pulses per second, which would get smoothed out by the mass of the armature and grinding wheel.

Greg

That is a common 'wisdom'. From my perspective, I am interested in .0002 or .0003 accuracy, and don't care about the look of the finish in any event. Besides, surface finish is more affected by the balance of the wheel and the smoothness of the carriage. And if I can avoid the $400 for a VFD, then I'm all in.

The deal soured over shipping and overall price. sigh. back to the search.

That is a common 'wisdom'. From my perspective, I am interested in .0002 or .0003 accuracy, and don't care about the look of the finish in any event. Besides, surface finish is more affected by the balance of the wheel and the smoothness of the carriage. And if I can avoid the $400 for a VFD, then I'm all in.

The deal soured over shipping and overall price. sigh. back to the search.
Hang in there , lots of grinders out there. I looked for one about two years then one popped up with a willing to deliver deal. I sent him with my best price and she's an old monster but fresh out of service to me. I expected it to be like the one here but nope its a Hugh landis with about ten extra wheels. Not new but usable. I need to get a buzz box or vfd. Haven't got her in the shop yet . She's been sprayed down with my own oil and cleaning mixture. And covered with a tarp. The way it looks spring will be here first. It's just me doing everything from a wheelchair so not to much gets done. All my so called friends who I've helped aren't around for me. Oh well. Take care keep looking ,

Hang in there , lots of grinders out there.

Thanks Silverbullet! I get all exited and watch diligently for a month or more, then lose track for six months or so... Been doing that for a couple of years now.

It's just me doing everything from a wheelchair so not to much gets done.

I wish I wasn't 3000Km (2000 miles) away - I'd be happy to help you if I was near you. Good luck with getting it going!

BTW My ship came in on a milling machine last week, a 9X49 A Bridgeport clone made in Taiwan... Will have to buy a VFD for it (3 phase) but it is worth it!

Back