Anyone Recognize This Surface Grinder

F

f350ca

Forum Guest
Register Today
In a quest to fill the space where the Logan shaper was I ran across this little grinder.
$_27.JPG

From a brief email he said the chuck was 6x12, and he only used it for sharpening.
I don't even know enough about surface grinders to be dangerous, so what should I look for when I go to look at it.
Guess he's retiring and selling off his shop.
Thanks
Greg

I used one many years ago and that looks to be the same. It was a Boyer Shultz 612. I'd like to get one again but I need a shoe horn to get into my shop as it is, so unless I knock down a wall, and that is'nt going to happen so......

Thanks, by your comment I take it that it was a good machine? Occasionally I need one, not just would like to have one. Nothing big, thinking slackers, truing up parallels, vice jaws etc.
As I posted it has a 12 inch magnet, would the stroke do my 15 1/2 planner blades?
Thanks for the reply.
Greg

I really think the answer is no. I think what would happen is at the tables end of travel the grinding wheel would still be on your blade. If the spindle bearings are good and table moves freely and the price is good for you then go for it. Ya there are quite a few around and if I had more floor space I'd like to have that B/S grinder.

Looks like a Boyer Schultz. I just sold one last year for $350.00.
The chuck is worth a couple of hundred dollars. The max left to right travel is 12" plus a little.
Check the spindle bearings. That's what usually goes. They are either noisy or the wheel bounces while grinding giving a lousy finish.If it is under power when you look at it, do a test grind on a small piece of steel. I've never seen one with a 110 volt motor. Most are 3 phase/ 220 volt. Some are single phase/ 220 volt
Good luck,

Bill

It’s not until you get it and use it a few times that you will find more and more things to grind. You’ll wonder how you got along without one!

Looks like a Boyer Schultz.

If the photo was any good, you could read the name on the front.

Picked it up today, photos to follow. It is a Boyer Schultz 612. Thanks.
It seams in great condition, flaking still visible on the ways. Im hoping the spindle bearings are good Bill, we ran it and it sounded a little rough, the belt is absolutely shot, chunks missing and parts shredding.
He apparently only used it for sharpening chamfering tools.
Came with a good selection of wheels, several diamond coated steel wheels for carbide.
Thanks for the info
Greg

Just curious. Do you mind sharing the price?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back