Anyone Recognize This Surface Grinder

He was asking $400 Bill, with all the wheels, and 7 wheel adaptors, diamond dresser, original wrenches, wheel pullers oh and a spare motor with a rebuild tag on it I felt guilty and gave him $450.

Greg

Ya got good deal. Inspect it well. You well to enjoy having it I'm sure.

Finished cleaning and degritting and have it reassembled. Blew some of the top coat of paint off when cleaning it with the pressure washer.
Pulled the spindle apart and washed out the bearings, the grease was pretty dry, we'll see how they do. Looks like two deep groove ball bearings with bellville washers setting the preload. High end looking bearings with spring clips holding the shields.`
The ways look great, some flacking on the long axis and the rest look pristine.
Now I need to get some 4 conductor cord to get it wired.
IMG_2225.jpg

Greg

Careful taking precision spindles apart, you might as well put new bearings in it now though.

Nice find and great price!

The bearings had a dry sound to them Andre so there was nothing but a bit of time to loose. If I've caught them before any damage was done they have a chance. I've cleaned and repacked lots of bearings with good success. Even installed ones where the inner and outer races split with a finger joint and the cage and seals were in two sections to install them in the middle of a line shaft on overhead cranes. If that can be done in a steel mill environment these have a good chance.

Greg

It made its way to its final resting spot. Ran power to it and fired it up. Im half deft but all I can hear is belt whine, think the bearings might be alright. After about half an hour the spindle is slightly warm so the belleville washers must be achieving their preload.
May need to invest in a better indicator now that we have something that should consistently work to 1/10ths. With a 0.001 indicator the table shows no movement down the axis and maybe 0.0002 high in the middle across it but the indicator is bouncing over the T-slot so that ones a bit iffy. The magnet face is true across and about 0.0007 high at the right end. Will remove and clean again and see what we get. So Im happy with that.

IMG_2229.jpg

At present I don't know enough about grinding to even be dangerous, mounted the orange wheel shown and dressed it. Tried it on a pice of mild steel.
IMG_2226.jpg

In a little better light,

IMG_2228.jpg

There is a little pattern in the finish, is that typical of mild steel, or bearing bounce? Or is that even a candidate wheel for mild steel, the specs were covered with the washers so no idea what it is to even look it up.
This was a 1/2 thou cut, 1 thou would blue the surface, how fast should you feed the table, this was at a pretty good clip.
Be thankful for any comments, good or bad.

Greg

We use white 60/80 soft bond wheels for our grinding. That finish is fairly typical, I tend to finish with 0.0005, after a final redress of the wheel. We dry grind our tooling (stamping die etc) and yes one can burn the steel with a dull/ loaded wheel or too fast feed. Dust collection is important as the grit will get on everything.

I could be wrong but arent most grinders are direct drive, no belts? The boyars may be different.

Yes, Boyar are normally direct drive as stated earlier. Both of ours are 3 phase 220/440.
Pierre

Back