Anyone bought a Vevor Vise?

If you’re trying to do a CNC conversion have you considered fixture plates. We have a forum sponsor that makes them.

John

Vise arrived.

I haven't looked at it much. I'm a bit under the weather.
The vise was shipped in the box that you'd see on the shelf. There was a styrofoam protection around it so I'm sure it's all OK.
I ended up leaving the package on my front porch overnight and a cat came by and marked it. Otherwise I'd photo the packaging.

I didn't get the piece showed in this picture
347576-9eb0636b41b768efda435c0a45d2d37b.jpg

I did get the two little square pieces. They are for alignment locking.
vise1.jpgvise2.jpg

They won't do me much good because the positioning grooves on the vise aren't going to align on my table and the locks are bigger than my grooves anyhow. If they lined up then I'd machine down the alignment blocks to fit my table.

Oh well.

I'll come up with something to use as an easy alignment.

What thread does the spindle have?
The current ads for vevor on fleabay show a vee thread on the vise, but there are two little picture inserts depicting their thread (trapezoidal) and the competitions (vee).
False advertising? or can someone verify.

I know you already bought it, and it is an attractive price... I know, I did the same... three times.

But after buying one of those Kurt vises (the one they have with a scratch & dent at a discount), I would not spend on another Vevor or similar vise... The difference in build quality is huge....

First one was a Vevor... great for my first vise and I abused the heck out of it... It is the one color matched to the milling machine... in hammered green

IMG_3220.jpeg

The second one was a cheaper alternative (68.00)... what a piece of carp... It is the blue one, next to the old one in the photo above ^

And then, just recently, I got another Vevor. Much better as it looks like they have made some improvements. Not bad for 96.00 and I am positive that it will serve me well... but next time, I will get a 4" Kurt vise for the G0704... there is just no comparison...

IMG_4537.jpeg
IMG_4538.jpeg

So, what threads do the spindles on the vevors have?
I'm not trusting an ad that shows a vee thread but tells the buyer it has a trapezoidal.
Would love to get a Kurt, but prices are off the planet here.

So, what threads do the spindles on the vevors have?
I'm not trusting an ad that shows a vee thread but tells the buyer it has a trapezoidal.
Would love to get a Kurt, but prices are off the planet here.
I don't know if you know this... I didn't..

Kurt uses V groove. when I read that I asked why...why not use an ACME. I was told the V can handle more pressure than the acme.
I find that interesting, since the acme looks much more stout.

Does it matter what screw shape?

Well I think so, I'm old school, i was taught either a buttress, acme, trapezoidal or square thread for high load applications. A normal vee thread would slide under extreme load and deform eventually failing after repeated loading.
What says everyone else?

I'll give you an example of what the vee profile does under extreme load.
I used to work as a wind turbine technician a few years ago. One morning i got a call to visit a turbine which had stopped because of a fault. Two of us went there and opened the door to find the place dripping with oil, gearbox oil.
I climbed up to find a gearbox cracked in half on the back end. What a shock.
Long story short, what had happened was the brake was called to operate by the control plc for some reason. These gearboxes weigh 20 tonnes. The geartooth profile is machined similar to a vee thread on the intermediate and high-speed shafts in the late stages of the gearbox. What happened when the brake came on was it tried to brake a shaft doing 1500 rpm, trying to stop 45 tonnes of hub and blades from spinning. The forces involved at that moment were pushing the shafts apart because of the tooth profiles. The cast iron housing had no choice but to groan and say thats enough and let go, slowly dumping 470 liters of oil through a 2-3mm crack. It took near 6 months to clean that turbine, before we could change the gearbox.

Back