Anyone bought a Vevor Vise?

Inferno

Registered
Registered
I clicked a link from the site so they can get their pennies but I've been looking at this vise for a couple months.

I pulled the trigger tonight and it should be here in the next week.
It weighs about 50 pounds.

I looked at a review from a reputable machinist and he said it mostly checked out within 0.0015 which is well above the standards I have on my current vise.
It appears to have a pretty solid build and has a few good things going for it, least of which is the price. At $140 to my door it's a steal, in my mind.

The downside is my lathe/mill combo doesn't have a bed that will be friendly to a clamp down vise. I'm going to make a few modifications to the Y axis to accommodate it. The first thing I'm going to do is set it in place on center and square. I'll mark where I want my hold down clamps to go and then use the mill head to drill into the table in 4 spots. Locking my cross slide will, of course, put the holes exactly aligned with the Y-axis.
I will also drill 2 more holes for quick squaring the vice when I take it off and put it back on. They will have eccentric spacers so I can square it up once and pretty much forget it after that. When I put the vise back on I just slide it up to the guides and clamp it down. It will sure beat how I square my current vise. Takes a good 5 minutes just to square it up. Yeah. not a lot of time but if there's a better way, right?

Anyhow, has anyone bought one of these vises? If so, what's your observations for good and bad?

This is the type of vise I bought except a 4” and have had it for 5-6yrs now. I would think a 6” would only fit Bridgeport. I prefer this type of vise because the ability to lay it on its side to clamp pieces vertically. I’ve never checked it on the surface plate but it seems to produce as accurate work as I need. The one thing I did do was take it apart and polish and lube the angle lock mechanism as it was not working properly before. This stopped the jaw lift when tightened.

I have the 6” with swivel base, looks exactly like the Vevor version. I like the swivel base, unlike some, because I can quickly reorient to use the X axis power feed, or mill odd angles. I can set it to within a quarter degree just from the dial markings. No need to shim the vise wrt the table, it’s within a half thousandth where it matters.

My only actual complaint is the jaws are not designed to the Kurt “standard”. Close, but no.

Edit: It will be a cold day…before I intentionally drill holes in my mill table.

I totally ge that someone wouldn't drill holes in their machine.
I have a cheap Smithy and it only has two T-slot channels so it's very limited the alternative would be to machine a few more T-slot and that's just not happening.
I looked at the model with the swivel base also. It has the flange mount which, in many ways, I prefer. I looked at reviews on it and wasn't as impressed. The swivel is a nice thing to have but I haven't needed it yet. Someday I might and then I'll wish I had it.

Mine is on a RF30 mill/drill and Z height is always at a premium. There was a poll here and the vast majority didn’t need their swivel base so that’s what drove me to this style, besides the great price :) I also took the swivel off my vise on the Atlas shaper which is also a Z challenged machine and have not missed it once. I’m sure if it was not sitting in a drawer I’d need it.

First, why would you have to drill holes in your table???? you just build clamps for the slots on the side.
What is the piece I have circled for.
v100-1.2_574cb419-6fc4-4e2c-9cde-d0995847c310_2048x2048.jpg

First, why would you have to drill holes in your table???? you just build clamps for the slots on the side.
What is the piece I have circled for.
View attachment 390343
Yeah this was such non sequitur it got ignored. there is no need to drill holes. I actually use a couple of short step blocks to mount mine. And there is no need for four of them. Two mounted and tightened properly has never budged.

I didn’t get those circled pieces so no clue.

I don't know what that circled piece is for.

I want the vise clamped on both sides. The T-slots aren't spanned enough, I don't think, to allow each side to be clamped down.

I know the drilling is usually verboten but this is going to be a part of the machine. I plan to make a couple more modifications down the road that might require drilling or machining. So far all the things I've done were able to be done with current holes and such, except one. For my X-axis DRO I needed to drill and tap a couple holes in the frame.

I don't know what that circled piece is for.

I want the vise clamped on both sides. The T-slots aren't spanned enough, I don't think, to allow each side to be clamped down.

I know the drilling is usually verboten but this is going to be a part of the machine. I plan to make a couple more modifications down the road that might require drilling or machining. So far all the things I've done were able to be done with current holes and such, except one. For my X-axis DRO I needed to drill and tap a couple holes in the frame.
what kind of mill?
I think most every mill will handle 4 clamps. Even my small Clausing 8520..
You are going to a 6" so you must have a bigger mill than mine.

Back