Anybody sharpen their own endmills?

barlowe,Have used Cincinnatis years ago at Lockheed. The bed was advanced and withdrawn via a hand wheel moving the cutters accross carbide fingers which supported the flutes. Also a small Japanese machine which had an air spindle. I still have a couple fingers . Advise if pics would help.

I I picked up a CutterMaster about 6 months ago. It is really nice to have. It does a hell of a job on endmills both tips and flutes. I also built a fixture for sharpening big drill bits (.5" to 2"). No more half assed hand sharpening. The fixture on the CM does one hell of a job. I have just learned how nice it is to have very sharp large bits.
Now I have to work out fixture for corn cob mills.

Randy

All nice machines. I'm curious if the Cutter Master can sharpen straight flute reamers and Morse Taper reamers?

I doubt that there is any machine that can resharpen a reamer and have it retain its dimensions,

Randy

I doubt that there is any machine that can resharpen a reamer and have it retain its dimensions,

Randy

just like you'd do your corncobs, sharpen only on the rake. You're right, if you remove more than a few thou, the reamer size will be reduced. I've touched up several reamers on my monoset this way.

Karl

I got discouraged trying to make one so I saved my money and bought a darex E-90 from a friend and it does a fantastic job. It can even sharpen ball endmills but I don't have that attachment.

Randy

That would depend on what type reamer you are talking about; machine reamers are sharpened only on the bevel, hand reamers could be sharpened on the tapered lead without changing the size, and adjustable hand reamers can be sharpened on all features. Machine reamers cannot be sharpened on the diameter without changing the size; they are ground cylindrical, then usually backed off to a narrow land to reduce drag.

I got discouraged trying to make one so I saved my money and bought a darex E-90 from a friend and it does a fantastic job. It can even sharpen ball endmills but I don't have that attachment.

I had a Darex in my shop, and I believe nearly anybody could do a good job sharpening an endmill with it with minimal instruction; I especially liked the convenient end splitting feature; I now have a WW-2 Norton #1 cutter grinder with a Harig Air Flo end mill sharpening attachment; I also have a Weldon air bearing sharpening attachment which I'd like to sell, it has both large and small spindles and the angle setting sub base and storage box. I'd like to get $450 for it.

I I picked up a CutterMaster about 6 months ago. It is really nice to have. It does a hell of a job on endmills both tips and flutes. I also built a fixture for sharpening big drill bits (.5" to 2"). No more half assed hand sharpening. The fixture on the CM does one hell of a job. I have just learned how nice it is to have very sharp large bits.
Now I have to work out fixture for corn cob mills.

Randy
Where did you buy the cuttermaster? I keep hearing about this new slow grinder but can I buy it only online?

Back