Anybody sharpen their own endmills?

gi_984

Active User
Registered
I'm curious if anyone here sharpens their own endmills and what machine/tooling you use?

Might have a look at the end mill sharpening machine Bill Gruby won Project of the month with several months ago. There are also several other members who do sharpen their end mills with various different home built and commercially built machines too. There should be several of our members who will be glad to get you started if you have a desire to sharpen your own too. You should start getting comments from other members very soon who can help you out.

Bob

Not yet. I'm going to build a Bonelle to do just that though. Soon as I quite buying machines... (long story).

Not yet. I'm going to build a Bonelle to do just that though. Soon as I quite buying machines... (long story).

The work holding head on mine is a modified copy of the Bonelle. Below is a Bonelle.

"Billy G"

15_03_2008_1 (850 x 638).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a surface grinder to do my 2 and 4 fluted end mills.

Jeff

My buddy up the road from me has a Cincinnati cutter/tool grinder with full tooling but neither of us know how to use it. Would be nice to make and sharpen endmills.

BTW, he will give anyone full access to its use if they teach us how to use it:anyone:

I very patiently waited for something to appear on CL.
And landed on an old Cuttermaster that a local table saw blade/chain saw sharpener service had up for grabs.
She's worked out well and salvaged several mills otherwise labeled as toolbox ballast.
That's not to suggest that I have sharpening figured out.
There is a huge difference between it now works, and it works well!

Daryl
MN

I got the plans a few months ago for the Bonnelle. I hope to build one soon. Been saving up pieces of material for a while. I should be ready to start soon. I am studying Bill G's thread. some good info there. I think it will be a long build, but worth it though, as there is no place locally to get the end mills sharpened and my "dull" box is getting fuller.

Mark Frazier

Back