Anvil

I made one from forks which is hardened chrome moly, (about Rc 40). Weighs 65 lb. When the heel gets less than 90% of the upright, the forks are scrap / unsafe. They throw them away.
Works for me.
And I also have a 16” piece of railroad track that I used previously.

Attachments

• IMG_3739.jpeg
    IMG_3739.jpeg
    64.4 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
With my Bluetooth headphones, safety reading glasses, assorted specialty gloves and HD shop apron I’m more protected than ever. The only annoying part is taking all that stuff off when nature calls. But hearing protection is something that often gets overlooked. This is evidenced by how many have tinnitus. Banging on steel is right up there decibel wise.

When the heel gets less than 90% of the upright, the forks are scrap / unsafe. They throw them away.
I swear I learn something new every time I log in here. I have worked around forklifts forever and never heard of this spec and never seen forks scrapped. If I ever saw one I’d sure be trying repurpose it too. And making it into ASO seems perfect.

They are not mats. They are tongue and groove rubber planks that replace treated wood flooring in the floor of cattle trailers. I was planning to cut some scrap to wedge in each end of the web of the the beam and see if it would dampen it some. It is about 8 inch by 3 inch. Will work on a way to strap pieces to my ears. Maybe ratchet straps. I could cut recesses for my ears with hole cutters. You know I never even thought about this being a problem till we got to the anvil cost discussions. I rarely beat on stuff, Either use a press, torch or porta power.

They are not mats. They are tongue and groove rubber planks that replace treated wood flooring in the floor of cattle trailers. I was planning to cut some scrap to wedge in each end of the web of the the beam and see if it would dampen it some. It is about 8 inch by 3 inch. Will work on a way to strap pieces to my ears. Maybe ratchet straps. I could cut recesses for my ears with hole cutters. You know I never even thought about this being a problem till we got to the anvil cost discussions. I rarely beat on stuff, Either use a press, torch or porta power.
If you close the ends of the beam by welding 1/2" plate to it you will likely stop the ringing...

I rarely beat on stuff, Either use a press, torch or porta power.
I’m not a blacksmith either. And since getting my arbor press outfitted with attachments for doing metal shaping and getting a planisher I’m doing even less beating. I also mostly work with sheet metal and beating on it causes more problems than fixes. This is why an anvil has dropped down the list to unless an insane deal comes along or somebody gives me one I’m not going to buy one.

I swear I learn something new every time I log in here. I have worked around forklifts forever and never heard of this spec and never seen forks scrapped. If I ever saw one I’d sure be trying repurpose it too. And making it into ASO seems perfect.
I was a Forklift Road Technician up until I retired and since I have a few machine tools, I always grabbed the scrap forks when they were worn thin and replaced. Probably have about 5 sets of them around here that I use for stock to make things.

Back