Anvil

I'm told that anvils are worth anywhere between $5 and $10 around here, depending on condition, mine is an excellent nominal 300 lb. "Eagle". I think the reason for the high values has to do with hoarding; some folks have hundreds and want more ---
I thought the pricing was in the neighborhood of $1.00 per pound and condition or brand could at least double the price. I can pick up a single fork for $50.00 to $100.00. Thanks

Last edited:
Here's a picture of my "anvil" and the base I made for it. I found a machinery mount in my local recycling scrap steel yard. It cost me $50 and weighs around 100lbs. It works for my amateur blacksmithing. I'd use a forklift fork for an anvil with no issues. If you cut and mounted it at the bend, you'd have an outside radius to use as well.

View attachment 481364
Very nice. This is what I wanted to see, home-brew anvils

I think it depends on where you are.
Price is location, location , location... whether it be real estate, cars, machines..
when you are bidding on a national level then it's what the selling price will bring.

I think it depends on where you are.
Price is location, location , location... whether it be real estate, cars, machines..
when you are bidding on a national level then it's what the selling price will bring.
Very true.

Very true.
I have a 120 pound anvil in the garage that belonged to my great great grandfather, I have the coal forge that went with it, I use to tell the wife to keep my son out of the garage out of fear that he might find a rubber mallet and disassemble my anvil, it not in the best of shape as is...... *shakes head side to side* the boy is talented in that way.....

I like the idea of an anvil and it is something I’ve paid attention to. But the prices, Oi vey! Around here they are more collector items than tools. I’ve decided after looking at many a YouTube that I’m more a ASO (anvil shaped object) kinda guy. I have several blocks of mystery steel that I use for ASO/bench anvil. If the tool gods decide I need one it will appear on CL i guess.

I have a couple of pieces of 8 x 8 H beam I use as anvils in the floor. They work well but are way too noisy to use. I wonder what I could muffle them with. I have some pieces of rubber cattle trailer flooring I may try.

I have a couple of pieces of 8 x 8 H beam I use as anvils in the floor. They work well but are way too noisy to use. I wonder what I could muffle them with. I have some pieces of rubber cattle trailer flooring I may try.
I would think encasing them in concrete would help considerately.

Yes I have used ear protectors before. Usually don't think of this on small jobs. I have some bridge steel with concrete on it that the scrap yard won't take.

Back