Another too good to be true item??

This turns out to be more headache than I thought. Lesson learned. I still didn't get refund. They said they tried to refund me, but something they didn't say keeping it from doing the refund. But something is odd. They transferred me to a few people compared to previously they can just refund and few minutes later it shows. I also got refund for other items, but just not this one. I am worry eBay may have lost money on this. This is just very odd a big company like this would have problem with the seller's scamming after all these years. I thought it's pretty obvious for them to prevent such a scam.
Sorry to hear about your problem with eBay getting your refund. I think part of the problem is there are so many seller/buyers on eBay that they can no longer monitor each and every item. There are literally millions if not billions of items listed. That's probably why they have a "report item" button and rely on the buying/selling community to rat out suspected scammers.

I took a shot years ago (seller was in China) on a buy it now for a 6", 8" and 12" Mitutoyo Absolute digital calipers. Something like $15 for the 12" one delivered. I figured they were knock-offs, but took a shot anyhow. Didn't receive the items on the expected delivery date and reported it to eBay. They said wait a week for a response; no response so got a prompt refund.

I list stuff on eBay and if I try to put my email address and/or a web site in the description, an error message pops up immediately. Get some note about keeping things within eBay to protect the seller and buyer. Uh, maybe so, but cynical me says eBay is in business to make money and gets paid when an item sells on eBay. If a private deal is made outside of eBay, they get nothing. So, it's fair that eBay screens out the emails and web sites as they are providing a service. But sure seems with today's artificial intelligence and screening auto-bots, they should be able to somewhat protect against scammers by populating a database with past scammed items. If they can check instantly for an email address or web site in a listing, seems like a dividing head for under $50 should be able to be flagged also.

By the way, there are still listings for new Mitutoyo Absolute calipers for under $30, buy it now from China. Scams? Probably. And no, I haven't taken a second shot.

Good luck with eBay!

Bruce

If they can check instantly for an email address or web site in a listing, seems like a dividing head for under $50 should be able to be flagged also.
I agree with most everything you said, but I doubt seriously that Ebay has the personnel that even knows how much a dividing head costs or should cost, and I doubt they care. But they do, or should, care about scams that can cost them potential commissions on future sales.

Tom

This turns out to be more headache than I thought. Lesson learned. I still didn't get refund. They said they tried to refund me, but something they didn't say keeping it from doing the refund. But something is odd. They transferred me to a few people compared to previously they can just refund and few minutes later it shows. I also got refund for other items, but just not this one. I am worry eBay may have lost money on this. This is just very odd a big company like this would have problem with the seller's scamming after all these years. I thought it's pretty obvious for them to prevent such a scam.

Ebay seems to be in on the scam with providing false information to their customers and not actually getting money refunded even when they say they have. Their systems are horribly broken and I'm afraid they will become a supplier I cannot do business with any longer.

They provided two different incorrect points of data through their website and automated phone system and only after talking with two different people there do they acknowledge they will refund my money that they said was refunded on July 1.

Definitely more than $46.73 worth of hassle.

John

Words to live by....if it’s too good to be true, it’s not true....hence why I didn’t spend my money....it’s just not worth my time to go down the path of getting my money back.....don’t go down the path to begin with!

E-bay should easily be able to identify sellers that suddenly are selling magnitudes more then they have been in the past. Then it just takes a human to take a look, and maybe even stop further sales until they talk with the seller. I have tried the report item link, and just get a canned response, and still go through this whole deal. My theory is still that E-bay is not hurt enough to care.

Purchased an item from mqwhg27, and got a tracking number within a day. Our item was delivered in Annandale, VA which is about 1,800 miles from us. Have tried contacting everyone with no response. Had to File a claim with PayPal but have not heard back yet. Now we see, "This user is no longer registered on eBay. " It was an obvious scam as they received over 200 negative feedback in the past month. Really wish we could contact other buyers to see if they were given the same tracking number. Hopefully we get a refund.

Just remember that in the case of fraud, the most you are legally liable for is $50, and I've never heard of anyone even having to pay that. The credit card companies want you to just relax and use that card. Back about 15 years ago, both of my credit cards went wild. It was a slight inconvenience, cost me nothing and I had new cards within a day or two. Debit cards are another matter. If they get compromised, you're broke until the bank makes it right (which they will). It can take a week or more for them to fix it, meanwhile you're borrowing from friends and family. It happened recently to my SIL. I do not have, nor have I ever had a debit card.

Because I hate getting that surprise when the credit card bill arrives, I have my Paypal account draw directly from my checking account. As insurance against my Paypal getting hacked, I turned off over-draft protection on my checking. If they drain it, I don't want them draining my savings too.
You can set your PayPal account up where after entering your username and password, that they will text you a six digit number that must be entered to gain access. So even if they have the first two they need your phone to enter in the six digit number. I feel better having that extra layer of security.

One email to ebay and almost instant refund was issued. Bank account shows the refund and no suspicious activity.

Th
Not long ago there was the deal with 24 cans of Tap Magic for very very low price and it was real.

Not for me, it wasn't real. Cancelled my order on me.

Ron
Thats because Ron was greedy and Ron got 24 cans of tap magic but good Lucķ to Ron first in best dressed as they say lol

As others noted... I too used PayPal since I was skeptical about this low price. And to further protect myself, I used PayPal backup credit card for payment instead of a debit from my account. Lots of good other posts here like getting a text message c6 digit code to log into account. The internet is the new Wild West... overrun with Putin’s Russian Mafia. It is what it is.

Back