Another too good to be true item??

coherent

Registered
Registered
I was looking for a cheap vacuum pump and came across a really good deal on ebay from a seller. I placed the order and used paypal.
Then I noticed he had sold nearly 100. All within the last 72 hours.

He also had a BS-0 precision dividing head with a 5" 3 jaw chuck and tailstock... $46.73
here is the link.

I'll bite, so I ordered one, and payed via paypal.

I know that when something looks too good to be true it usually is, but figured no harm no foul using paypal I won't have to worry about losing my money. Will I get my items? Time will tell I guess. Looking at this seller ( mqwhg27) I noted he had 172 feedback and 100% positive and... that he had quite a few items at really low prices and all in the $40-$60 range. All had sold dozens and all in the last 72 hours. So being the good guy I am, I called called Ebay to report something was possibly not quite right. He had sold tens of thousands of dollars worth of items and more sales in the last 3 days than he had total history. Ebay said he was a long established seller with no issues. So, we'll see. Maybe it's legit. If so you may want to take a look. If you buy, use a means that guarantees the item or a refund. But, with my experience, if something looks too good to be true, it usually is.

I think we've been down this road before, and the items never show up. You'll get your money back, but it wastes your time
Mark
ps just for grins I ordered one too, I figure worst case the chuck is worth 40$ ;) I can use it somewhere

Last edited:
I think we've been down this road before, and the items never show up. You'll get your money back, but it wastes your time
Mark

Yep for a 3 jaw chuck a few months ago. But I have got a couple items for really good prices. Figure as long as it only cost me a little time, I'll waste a little and take the gamble. I'll just assume I won't get it and be reimbursed but be pretty happy if I do.

I wonder if Ebay lets flaky sellers purge negative feedback? Hard to believe he wouldn't have some if he wasn't delivering items
Should be interesting to see what happens.

Don't be surprised when/if it arrives it's a "made in China" knock off. It's identified as a BS not a B&S (Brown & Sharpe) dividing head with a B&S #7 taper. #7 collets aren't that popular today, and if I remember correctly only go to 1/2". A cheap set usually costs around $100.00 while the B&S originals usually cost around $45.00 each.

I fully expect cheap knockoff. I've been eying a Taiwan made unit on Craigslist locally that I think is a pretty good deal at 5 times this price. If I get this one it'll probably be the basis of a 4th axis for my homemade CNC mill/drill project.

For that price I just order one. If it does not work out then maybe sell on ebay for a little profit:)

37 sold in the last 2 days. That same dividing head (at least the same pictures) is available from several other sellers for ~$240. I ordered one too, but I won't hold my breath.

Do a search on eBay for "Mitutoyo Absolute Caliper" and sort by lowest cost first. You'll see lots of sellers with positive feedback with comments like "good stuff". I bought an 8" and 12" for something like $10 each but it was a scam. Did get my money back, but still a pain. Wish you guys luck with this one.

Bruce

Back