Aloris or Phase 2?

Hello...

So what about people like me that are going to stress the bejesus out of there tool post learning, Aloris is having a big sale ATM and I can pick up an AXA tool post for 308.00 new and free shipping on amazon right now, Or wait till I can get a Dorian which is $396.81 on Dorians site. Shars site is 360.00 but Im not sure about it cause you cant see the Dorian sticker... wonder if they ever go on sale for less...?
Aloris's sale has been going on for about a year, maybe longer. That being said, if you have deep enough pockets, go ahead, buy the top shelf stuff. If your pockets are not deep, then don't. As it turns out, it doesn't matter which one you get, as long as it is functional.

I have two Aloris tool holders. I had to modify one to be able to use it. Yes, I had to machine the tool holder to be able to use it on my lathe. It happens - even to an Aloris. The threading tool holder works fine. The rest of my Chinese tool holders also work fine too. The finishing details are a little bit nicer on the Aloris, but the Chinese tools are functional and do everything that is needed. About the only thing I have ever needed to attend to on the Chinese holders is to replace some of the set screws. Considering that a bag of quality set screws is dirt cheap, I consider the savings well worthwhile.

As a hobby user, I recommend you spend the cash on other stuff that you need. For one thing, you will need lots of tool holders, and tooling, and inserts and stock and mensuration equipment, and ... If you blow the wad on just one thing, there won't be any cash for the rest of the stuff that you soon will find that you need. The lathe is just the beginning of your expenditures, trust me on that.

Aloris's sale has been going on for about a year, maybe longer. That being said, if you have deep enough pockets, go ahead, buy the top shelf stuff. If your pockets are not deep, then don't. As it turns out, it doesn't matter which one you get, as long as it is functional.

I have two Aloris tool holders. I had to modify one to be able to use it. Yes, I had to machine the tool holder to be able to use it on my lathe. It happens - even to an Aloris. The threading tool holder works fine. The rest of my Chinese tool holders also work fine too. The finishing details are a little bit nicer on the Aloris, but the Chinese tools are functional and do everything that is needed. About the only thing I have ever needed to attend to on the Chinese holders is to replace some of the set screws. Considering that a bag of quality set screws is dirt cheap, I consider the savings well worthwhile.

As a hobby user, I recommend you spend the cash on other stuff that you need. For one thing, you will need lots of tool holders, and tooling, and inserts and stock and mensuration equipment, and ... If you blow the wad on just one thing, there won't be any cash for the rest of the stuff that you soon will find that you need. The lathe is just the beginning of your expenditures, trust me on that.
Hi.. I intend to get either an Aloris or Dorian Tool Post at some point - just saw the Aloris TP cheaper then I see listed on most sites and just figured I should ask too see if that was a screaming deal.. Thanks mike...

If you ever decide on an Aloris , give me a shout out . I have an AXA with a couple holders I won't be using .

If you ever decide on an Aloris , give me a shout out . I have an AXA with a couple holders I won't be using .
Hi, bought the Dorian TP this morning from Shars, Thanks thou.

Long Edit:

lol bought and canceled the Shars purchase same day, I ordered it before work started, Saw a different looking tool post on the order page that had the right Name: Dorian, Model: SDN25AXA and size: AXA - but the photo didn't look right for a Dorian tool post, figured it was an error.. when I got off work I called Shars and asked if I would be getting the one seen in the photo on there website or the one shown in the catalog they sent me... he asked what the sale order # was - I read it off to him, then asked me to hold...

When he came back he said I would be getting the one seen in the photo, I said so the photo shown isn't an upload error..? I said the photo doesn't even look like a Dorian tool post and they don't have a triangle as a name plate, he then said that the Dorian photos seen elsewhere on the site and catalog were sent to them by Dorian but that particular one was taken by them. I asked if he could cancel the order or send me a Dorian Tool Post as seen in the catalog, he said I would have to buy an AXA set to get the Dorian tool post as seen in the catalog, I said then I would like to cancel, He said sure no problem, It may have already been shipped but just send it back if its not what you want.

After I got off the phone with Shars I call Dorian tools in Texas and spoke to a tech and explained to them what I was trying to buy and that it had a triangle Name plate, they asked me to walk them through what Dorian TP I found, which I did and they said it kind of looks like one they made over 12 years ago that had oils connections to it but the Name Plate didn't look quite right, I then asked what about the off white Dorian TP seen next to it with a couple tool holder, he said there current line is grey and the previous line was red... Maybe just lighting.

You could tell their tongue was tied... In closing they said that the Tp shown is not a current or even a recent Dorian Tool Post that they were aware of and that they would be passing the info up the chain to get looked at.. They also said and emailed me info about their current line and retail price list which for the SDN25AXA - Current Price is $436.49, and if there are no verifiable retail outlets Locally I could buy direct from them to get an authentic tool if I needed.

I'm not sure if the one Shars may be sending is a Dorian ore not, we will see - I would post the photo of it but I'm not sure if its ok to do so.. I'm might be on the hunt again... lol I may have to take you up on your offer :) wasn't expecting an issue buying from a known company.

Here is the sale order...

Opera Snapshot_2023-03-18_101134_www.shars.com.png

Last edited:
There have been so many threads and so many posters stating that the performance difference between Aloris and imports is negligible. That's my experience also. However, I can't find any substitute for the Aloris parting blade, #71, and associated holder. This product has made parting a routine operation (almost) for me. I suggest you purchase the lower cost tool holders because you'll need a bunch, and save your money for a quality Aloris parting blade and holder, and get a bunch of good GTN-3 Inserts.

There have been so many threads and so many posters stating that the performance difference between Aloris and imports is negligible. That's my experience also. However, I can't find any substitute for the Aloris parting blade, #71, and associated holder. This product has made parting a routine operation (almost) for me. I suggest you purchase the lower cost tool holders because you'll need a bunch, and save your money for a quality Aloris parting blade and holder, and get a bunch of good GTN-3 Inserts.
Hello Winegrower, So uhm you really like that 71 for parting, Ill keep that in mind thanks... What about this one that I currently have, No good..?

1679197628421.png
I have been buying a few mid range sets of QCTP to compare, I currently have 4 of 7 that I plan to get... I am trying to get my hands on a particular Shars set atm - the set with the Shars logo without a circle around it... My old set says China on all the holders and TP - so I am hunting a replacement for it, Ill keep one of the sets for my new lathe and then give my old set away and sell off the rest... Then over time build a really good set.

1679198603475.png

This week I ordered the Bostar set, Next week I am ordering a Phase II set off ebay..

Since I am prepping for a new lathe that's coming in May, I would like to get some good threading tools, I intend to turn down rebar " no ones said not to use rebar so far " since its cheap and practice threading till I can learn how to make the magic nut seen on one of the This Old Tony video, thats my goal...

If you have thoughts on good threading tools plz let me know.
Thanks Mike.

Hello Winegrower, So uhm you really like that 71 for parting, Ill keep that in mind thanks... What about this one that I currently have, No good..?
Yes, the 71 has really helped me. I also have and like several of the type you're asking about. They are also good, in that they are much narrower so the kerf is not as wasteful...but the depth of cut is pretty severely constrained compared to the 71 blade. I use them for cutting off 1/2" rods for example. I think the narrowest 71 is 0.125, and they can be gotten up in the 0.25" range, but I've never seen a need for that.

I can't find any substitute for the Aloris parting blade, #71, and associated holder.
I think you just talked me into buying this! My parting tool holder is what came with my lathe. It doesn't hold the blade very well. The little bit of extra material taken out by a slightly wider blade is probably less than the waste from a crappy cut.
What rpm for my typical 1.5 to 2" diameter work? Steel or aluminum.
If I'm making multiples on a rod, I've been using the tail stock and just moving the parts out of the collet for the next part. Then I set the stop on the cold saw and chop them off. It cuts so clean that I often don't need to face that end. Way faster than a band saw. If I get a good parting tool that will eliminate the need to cold saw.

What rpm for my typical 1.5 to 2" diameter work? Steel or aluminum.
There are probably as many answers for this as there are RPMs. So assume a 0.125" kerf. The Takisawa doesn't have a huge number of speed selections, and for aluminum it matters way less...but for reasonable steel, in the 2", I would start around 150, speed up to 250 at 1" and at a half inch be up at 500+. I feed in manually watching the chip formation. This recipe has been very reliable for me...it's been awhile since there was a parting failure.

Back