Aloris or Phase 2?

Thanks! I'd never seen the inside of the wedge style!

If you are looking for -where- to make an investment, the tool.post itself is where I'd head. It's the one piece that is used 100% of the time!

I have a vintage phase II and a wide range of holders in various makes. I used Aloris at school, and I agree they are a cut above what I have, but I'm happy with the price/performance ratio of my current kit.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I bought the Aloris 7 piece CXA for my Colchester 15.
My extra holders are Shars. = Love this set up.
I had a Chinese BXA on my 13" South bend that came with the lathe. Hated it. Replaced it with a Phase II, I thought the Phase II was very good compared to the original.
Phase II aren't cheap. MSC has the BXA set in Aloris for $804. The Phase II set is $800.

For comparison, you can get the Chinesium tool post and a half dozen holders for less than $200.
What was your $600 worth of hate composed of?

I'm not trying to be snarky. I have the Chinesium set, and it seems to work fine. But, I'm just a hobbyist and don't have the depth-of-knowledge to make an informed comparison. So far, all I've heard is "smooth operation", but I drop the tool in, pull the handle, and the tool doesn't move. What am I missing out on?

Major difference is maybe the country of origin . Being a machinist/toolmaker by trade , I'll support my fellow USA workers as long as I'm able to . :)

Some practical differences would be:

1 - If you are making parts to extremely tight tolerances
2 - Dealing with cast rough gearing means you will experience wear more quickly than ground. This will add slop to the equation more quickly, and long term durability would be questionable.

For the hobby guy, they may never get to the point where it makes a difference, but the professional user probably will. I fall in the hobby user category, and my parts will be personal use. Thats why I chose Chinese...but I was well aware of the tradeoff, and I got what I expected.

Nice! I've been needing some art for the shop. Those would look great framed.

edit: And it's been exactly 60 years since the patent was granted.

Senior Whooperino;

Check out this etsy seller for cool blueprint wall art: https://www.etsy.com/shop/CatkumaPatentPress

I bought a couple prints for my son a few years back and was happy with them, and it looks like there's extensive choices (even a knee mill!).

Standard Disclaimer: No affiliation other than as a satisfied customer.

Senior Whooperino;

Check out this etsy seller for cool blueprint wall art: https://www.etsy.com/shop/CatkumaPatentPress

I bought a couple prints for my son a few years back and was happy with them, and it looks like there's extensive choices (even a knee mill!).

Standard Disclaimer: No affiliation other than as a satisfied customer.
Cool, thanks.

I've already printed and framed them.
Just noticed that the name at the top of the drawing, presumably the applicant:
F. Sirola.

Some practical differences would be:

1 - If you are making parts to extremely tight tolerances
2 - Dealing with cast rough gearing means you will experience wear more quickly than ground. This will add slop to the equation more quickly, and long term durability would be questionable.

For the hobby guy, they may never get to the point where it makes a difference, but the professional user probably will. I fall in the hobby user category, and my parts will be personal use. Thats why I chose Chinese...but I was well aware of the tradeoff, and I got what I expected.
Hello...

So what about people like me that are going to stress the bejesus out of there tool post learning, Aloris is having a big sale ATM and I can pick up an AXA tool post for 308.00 new and free shipping on amazon right now, Or wait till I can get a Dorian which is $396.81 on Dorians site. Shars site is 360.00 but Im not sure about it cause you cant see the Dorian sticker... wonder if they ever go on sale for less...?

Back