Almost there, one thousanth of an inch

This is my recommendation for a Dial Test Indicator. Brown & Sharpe BesTest .030 range by .0005. Black and White 1 1/2 inch face.

"Billy G"
I have a best test indicator i believe to be with those specs, but i have no effective means of putting that inficator on the generic mag base, the bars are wAy to wide

what is the alternative to a mag base, can i use a chuck in my tailstock or place it in my quick hange tool holder, which will go up to 1/2" by 1/2" max.
Thanks

jon

Mine is a dovetail type mount. I have the adaptor that has the short round post on it. I also have a bar to mount it in the tool post. The tool post mount is the easiest. That would be my suggestion. You are going to be amazed at how much easier it will be to dial it in.

"Billy G"

Mine is a dovetail type mount. I have the adaptor that has the short round post on it. I also have a bar to mount it in the tool post. The tool post mount is the easiest. That would be my suggestion. You are going to be amazed at how much easier it will be to dial it in.

"Billy G"
Thanks alot Bill, this is going to make a big difference, I can feel it.
Jon

Thanks alot Bill, this is going to make a big difference, I can feel it.
Jon
Hi everyone,i
oh well, all 4 of my indicators and test dial indicators are all .001 resolution.
I will order a B & S higher precision unless too much, then i will get another indicator with higher precision.
Starrett or mituyoto indi ator for mag base?
any opinions appreciated
thanks
jon

Get all of this with it. Most comes with it, just the adapter for the mag base in the foreground came separate. I don't have the adapter number but the gage set is, 599-7031-5 EDP 51734.

"Billy G"

102_0162 (610 x 343).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never been a great fan of those back plunger indicators. They have their place, but it isn't where you are working, IMO. A dial test indicator would be much better to see smaller movements. That's what they are made for and why they have such little travel compared to the run of the mill 1.000 AGD group2 indicators, although indicators in that style are made in much finer resolution/graduation than 0.001.

While also not a huge fan on the Last Word, they are good indicators when properly maintained and used, and would be better for what you are doing that the larger dial. Give it a try. Remember to always rotate the chuck the same direction during testing. Skip the back plunger indicator.

The back plunger gage is more for Bench Center use. I have a Lufkin set and that is the only time I use it. I check crankshafts for out of round.

"Billy G"

What Bill said about the tool post mount is good advice. Especially when you drop some serious cash on a test indicator. I have had a problem bumping them into the part when I use a mag base. I found a thread somewhere...might have been here, about making a toolpost holder for measuring tapers. I would like to give credit to the original builder that came up with the idea but my memory doesn't allow. Anyway, here's the one I made from his plans. It takes all the guesswork out of finding the high point on a taper. The slide has a spring under it to hold it tight against the piece. When I'm dialing in a part, I start with my .001 indicator to get it close and then finish with the .0005. Here's the pics:

i1.JPG i2.JPG i3.JPG

Get all of this with it. Most comes with it, just the adapter for the mag base in the foreground came separate. I don't have the adapter number but the gage set is, 599-7031-5 EDP 51734.

"Billy G"
Thanks Bill,
is that an B & S number.
Enco has the indi idual white or black best test indicator.
They also sell a set for just a bit more. Set is whitr faced only. Black faced is $152. And white is 185.
190. And a little more or less for the bla l faced. It comes w/ one carbide tip: .080" dia; one 1/2" long x 1/4" dia extension with dovetail; one contact point wrench, fitted case, cert of accuracy.
What are the exact names of what else i need to order?

enco has 5 standard acces. From18. - 48. And 3 more additional access from 18 - 22. Any help so i do not order wrong accessories would be helpful, do i need another mag base or can i use the one from cheap indicator?
thankss
jon

Yes, that's the B&S number right off the box. I like the black face because it is easier for me to see. The Enco is a good one also. The mag base you have is fine as long as it can hold rigidity. On there .0005 gages it is extremely important. The slightest movement shows up big time.

"Billy G"

Hi Bill,
thanks again. I was concerned about the b and s indicator not fitting the mag base and bars because of larger diameter does not fit any of my small dial test indicators.
Am i better off getting a new mag base and buy certain accessories to make it fit.
A.Rectangular bar3/16 thick x 5/16 high x 3"long w/ .220" diam stud. 18.70
B.Swivel support short- 3/8" diam x 1" long. 39.95
C.angle attachment; 3/8" hole x 3/8" diam x 1" long 39.95
D.Extension with dovetail .250" diam x 1/2" long 14.45
E. Carbide ball point .040" diam x 1/2" long 44.88
F. Rectangular bar 1/4" thick x 1/2" high x 3" long with .220"diam stud 18.48
G. Swivel support(long) 3/8" diam x 3-5/8" shank. 42.50
H. Universal dovetail attachment. Chrome plated. 1/4" diam x 2-1/2" long( to center of ball) 26.40
These are all the listed accessories for best test dial indicator by B & S
Thanks bill
jon

Back