Air Comressor wiring question

Thank you all for your insight and advice.

Dman1114, that is the one! I got it for $351. :rubbinghands:
I love it. Can't wait to finish getting the sub panel wired up and then deal with this.

Ill look around for a disconnect box and see what I can find fairly reasonably and try to get it up and going. I did pick up a "dryer" whip and socket but am having second thoughts.

Nothing wrong with the dryer cord, Been using one for years on my compressor. But if you prefer a disconnect here is about the cheapest way to go. http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-60-Amp-240-Volt-Non-Fuse-Metallic-AC-Disconnect-TFN60RCP/100674085

9366d481-aacc-4686-9802-8c2e8ffdd739_400.jpg

Here's a pic of the manual motor starter switches I was talking about that I use for my lathe & mill (one for each machine). They're made by SquareD, mine are p/n 2510KG2, rated for 30A & works with both 1 phase & 3 phase. I got them for $20 ea on ebay. There's various models & Leviton also makes them. They're not like light switches that require very little effort to flip the switch. I don't think they sell these in hardware store though.

Img_7439_zpsaaf3e32d.jpg

As I mentioned I didn't bother with my air compressor as I also just always leave it on unless I go out of town.

Img_4649.jpg

Img_7439_zpsaaf3e32d.jpg

Img_4649.jpg

Img_7439_zpsaaf3e32d.jpg

Img_4649.jpg

Thank you all for your insight and advice.

Dman1114, that is the one! I got it for $351. :rubbinghands:
I love it. Can't wait to finish getting the sub panel wired up and then deal with this.

Ill look around for a disconnect box and see what I can find fairly reasonably and try to get it up and going. I did pick up a "dryer" whip and socket but am having second thoughts.

sooo...

how you get it for that price? where ? i want one:whistle:

My current shop came pre-wired with the wall-mounted 30A oven receptacle approach. That allows me to power a compressor, lathe, or welder.... just not all at the same time. It fits my needs because those 3 tools are used on 3 different types of work which never overlap.

While at Siemens Energy I learned that Europeans most often use the breaker as the On/Off switch. As was said, that's not common here due to local disconnect rules which vary from region to region.

sooo...

how you get it for that price? where ? i want one:whistle:

I got really lucky. I actually picked up a CH from Tractor Supply. I had family pick it up in another town. Got it to my house and noticed it was bent. It was a floor model and someone tipped it over. So I took it back but they didn't have the CH model anymore and upgraded me to the Porter Cable. So $349 for the Black Friday CH and $5 for the upgrade to the Porter Cable. Sorry my math was off. I thought it was $351 but looking at the receipt it was actually $354.

I bought a lottery ticket later that day but must have used all my luck on the compressor. :lmao:

Last edited:
You are correct in that common 200+ volt service isn't officially called "two phase", it is called "single phase" but it does in fact use two phases and no neutral. One phase and a neutral is also commonly called "single phase" or "split phase" yielding typical 115-125 volt service. Then of course there is "three phase" which uses all 3 phases....All of which is a common source of confusion for many trying to understand AC electricity.

to help satisfy the understanding of single phase power, single phase is one phase that is 240 volts leg to leg, this phase is center taped and grounded generating a neutral. It is not 2 180 phases added together. some very small transformers have 110 volt parallel taps that are series connected. The power supply into the house or shop is center-taped single phase.

1ph_EF_pole.jpg images.jpg

Art B

1ph_EF_pole.jpg images.jpg

1-1-15 - 9:43 PM

Dear : Gunrunnerx

My sugestion would be to install a disconnect switch ( 2 pole ) at the incoming power to your compressor
assuming that the pressure switch is connected to one leg of the 240 service & one to ground ( 120 volts? )
If so, I would install the main - 2 terminal switch (fused on both legs) as
listed above. Make certain that the box has fuses in it. You will have to determine what fuses would be compatable
for that compressor. Also check you region for electrical requirements. Our county here in Indiana a license one
does not need a license.

I have a 5 horse compressor for my shop & I installed a 2 poll disconnect with 2 fuses. The pressure switch I believe is a 120 VAC not certain - but I will check & reply.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact me on this site.

Kindest regards:))

jbollman

Back