Air Comressor wiring question

gunrunnerx

Registered
Registered
I just picked up a really nice Porter Cable 60 gal compressor for the shop/garage. In the owners manual it states that there should be an on/off switch between the main power and the pressure switch. I've never heard of or seen this before. It's a 3.7 HP 240v single phase 17.2 FLA.

Anyone heard of this? What should I use for the switch? It actually says it will void the warranty by not having one.

Thanks all.

You could use an eletrical disconnect box available at any hardware store. They're on the expensive side to be used just for this purpose. For my lathe & mill I used manual motor starter switches, sort of like a light switch but properly rated for power & cuts all the terminals.

I could be wrong but I think they recommend some sort of disconnect switch assuming the compressor is going to be hard wired. I used a plug & socket on my 60 gal compressor with no additional switch.

Last edited:
Did u get it from Tractor Supply??? http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/porter-cablereg;-stationary-belt-drive-air-compressor-60-gal

They are pretty nice for the Money.... was checking them out the other day. i have a crappy 30 gal from home depot. gotta upgrade soon....

anyhow a compressor like that should be hard wired. So depending on how you have your wiring setup. run power to a 4" box with a switch ( proper one for 240 v of course) and then to your compressor.

gotta have a way to shut off the power to the compressor....

something like this for a switch http://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-...e-Toggle-Switch-White-R52-0CSB2-2WS/202027029. screws right to the cover of a 4" steel box.... then run the power out of the box with a piece of BX or similar.. to your compressor.

Last edited:
I just have mine wired to it's own dedicated breaker. I use a number of my breakers as switches for lighting and service disconnects.

Mount an air conditioning disconnect box on the wall at the compressor, hard wire into it. Under $20. If you need something with a higher amp rating, they have similar disconnect switches in 50 amp rating for a few dollars more.

I uses a 30 amp dryer plug and outlet. This provides an easy way to disconnect the compressor when I work on it ... like change the oil, etc. ... and also allows me the ability to move the compressor when I need to get behind it ... like to sheet rock and paint the wall per the instructions provided by my wife.

The outlet is on a circuit dedicated to the compressor so in that sense it is "hard wired", just the wiring can be easily separated when it needs to be.

Those that are suggesting it be hard wired ... is there a reason to not use a plug and outlet? Note that I am not suggesting that it must be on a plug and outlet, just wondering what the down side is of the plug and outlet.

Nothing wrong with using a plug and outlet at all. Simple, inexpensive, and effective.

I uses a 30 amp dryer plug and outlet. This provides an easy way to disconnect the compressor when I work on it ... like change the oil, etc. ... and also allows me the ability to move the compressor when I need to get behind it ... like to sheet rock and paint the wall per the instructions provided by my wife.

The outlet is on a circuit dedicated to the compressor so in that sense it is "hard wired", just the wiring can be easily separated when it needs to be.

Those that are suggesting it be hard wired ... is there a reason to not use a plug and outlet? Note that I am not suggesting that it must be on a plug and outlet, just wondering what the down side is of the plug and outlet.

There isn't any.

According to the national electrical code; there must be a means of disconnect within 5 feet of an installed machine or appliance. It could be a switch, circuit breaker, fuse box w/switch, or plug and receptacle (of correct amperage). If the load is in the 200v range, that is, using two phases (hot lines), then the switch must be double pole.

Back