Aggravating gas cans

My sealed cans always seem to be pressurized or have a vacuum? This may be from temperature change and/or vapor pressure of the fuel? If you seal your cans, how do you accommodate this? I have some metal cans that have been crushed in the winter by temperature change. I assume that keeping all the cans nearly full would be helpful but this is hard to achieve.

I've got one of the Eagle 5 Gallon Metal Gas Cans (Item #145709, Model #UI50FSST) from Lowes last year and has been working quite well. I paid about $75 back last year, so prices have gone down a little.

My sealed cans always seem to be pressurized or have a vacuum? This may be from temperature change and/or vapor pressure of the fuel? If you seal your cans, how do you accommodate this?

You have to vent them. I install those yellow vent holes and covers in all my plastic cans. If your cans must be sealed, then having them flex with the temps is the price to pay.

Reactions: rwm
My sealed cans always seem to be pressurized or have a vacuum? This may be from temperature change and/or vapor pressure of the fuel? If you seal your cans, how do you accommodate this? I have some metal cans that have been crushed in the winter by temperature change. I assume that keeping all the cans nearly full would be helpful but this is hard to achieve.
When mine are in storage I just barley loosen the cap or vent. I have the Tractor Supply type spots and vents. When transporting I just tighten the cap and I'm good to go.

So I know that this has been brought up before and I have a 5 gal. Eagle that I use for regular gas than I also have 2 1gal cans for mixed gas for the 2 cycle engines. If I needed to replace either of them I would be looking at, Crags, FaceBook marketplace or maybe even a few ward sales and find good old school metal gas cans. Before righting this I did look and found many of them available.

When I was looking for a steel can like the Stan Can for my emergency supply on my boat, the ones that I found on eBay were rusted badly but you would have thought that they were made from gold.

Back