Advice on shop build...

No specific type that I know of, just closed cell vs open cell. The spray guy said closed cell for metal to seal in air and control condensation. In addition to offering a higher R-value per inch, closed-cell foam insulation acts as an adhesive and can increase your building’s overall structural integrity. I know when I got up on the roof there was no give. Like when I had an fiberglass insulated roof I had to be careful walking not to dent it.Machining side.JPG

Depending on size / layout / uses of shop, consider a back door or window as an emergency escape.
Yes, two roll ups or other equipment doors on one end, regular door on opposite end in corner, and a smaller roll up in the other corner / welding area.

You'll notice we spray painted the foam white above the plywood for brightness. If you have foam you now it turns yellow with time.

Large doors are usually a large heat loss. My shop is used only as a shop so made a 10 x 10 barn style door from 4 inch SIP panels, They come in 4 foot width so bought 3 and made up 5 foot sections. Cored through the foam with hardwood dowels where the hinges bolt on. Been hanging for 14 or so years now with no sag. The bolt heads from hinges will frost up when it gets below -30 C but the door face stays warm. Incidentally they're light enough I stood them and hung them by myself.
The building is 24 x 36 story and a half with the upper floor being a cabinet shop. Only have 10 foot ceilings as I didn't want the building too high. Can only get my pickup about 4 feet off the floor on the car hoist but its a lot beter than crawling under it.
The walls are 2x6 balloon framed then straped with 2x2s horizontal on the outside. 4 inch fibreglass batts were split to insulate that. This breaks the thermal bridging the studs create.
I installed radiant heat on both floors but the machine shops concrete floor creates too much of a heat sink in such a well insulated building. If we get a few really cold days the floor warms up to compensate, then I sweat for a week till it cools down again. The cabinet shop works great with the radiant in the wood floor, no thermal mass to deal with. I added a small radiator with a fan downstairs to warm the place up after you opened the big door to move equipment in. In the winter it comes on 2 or 3 times a day to heat the space without the radiant on.
We've had a month of 30 degree days, the machine shop is still at 21 C with no cooling.
IMG_0717.jpg

IMG_0658 copy.jpg

Greg

That’s a nice looking building Greg!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow. That looks really nice Stonebridge. Really nice set up Greg.

I'm the one who mentioned bi fold doors. I am still looking at options my self, but those come up. They can be insulated unlike many other options. They don't take up valuable space inside when open which is often important. But again I'm not sure what I will get. But the sliding doors I have need to go - assuming the bonus this year is good. I need to control humidity and that is a lost cause when a creek runs two sides of my shed maybe 30 feet away...

I'll probably do dense pack insulation, closed cell foam is nice, but expensive. For the ceiling I can put in more total r value for the same money. For the walls not as much, but still close enough.

What size are you looking at, and what do you think the bifold will run? You'll have to let me know how you like them. I'm probably 6 months from my build (at least I hope so!)

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I haven't measured. I have a 60x40 pole barn that I'm not happy with the sliding door on. I suppose 15 or 20 feet wide, and 10 feet tall. Needs next year's bonus though, so I haven't done anything.

I might go with a Hydraulic door instead, they are one piece and more expensive but I think I know a guy at church...

Before anything I need more than 30 amp service there, and wires, conduit or whatever so I have power for whatever happens next. Then insulation to keep the temperature stable. Then a door, then ac. Then, we'll there is always something, you know how it goes.

Absolutely. I was supposed to build last year, but...

Actually its a good thing. I know more now and I think I'll be happier with current plans than the original ones.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Back