Adventure With a 4-Jaw Chuck

Denny, perhaps try dialing in some round stock instead of square - Just to help get the hang of the process? Just a thought.

Again,
Lathe Skills Series

Mill Skills Series

With square, rubber band some small pieces on the end of your work and indicate inside those (DTI). Much improved.

With square, rubber band some small pieces on the end of your work and indicate inside those (DTI). Much improved.
I don't follow your thought either. What do you mean indicate on the inside?

I just cant visualize this?
I don't follow your thought either. What do you mean indicate on the inside?
If you use a rubber band to hold 4 pieces of flat stock on your square material, you've essentially created a piece of hollow square tubing. You can indicate on the inside edges with a Dial Test Indicator (DTI) without catching a corner and damaging your indicator.

@Nyala, Practice Dialing things in with a wire pointer instead of an indicator. Don't try to get it perfect, practice the gross adjustments as if you just chucked the stock up. Once you learn to get it close with a pointer you can start using an indicator to really dial it in.

When you're just starting out, there's no reason to measure how far off it is when it is visually loping off center.

I've watched a few more 4-jaw specific videos and I'm getting the idea. My plan is to start with round stock and do some pre-alignment as suggested herein, then perhaps move to non-circular stock. I also have 2 chuck keys, as suggested, to help with the process.

Everyone has been most helpful here and I have read your posts several times (I don't want to miss anything). I appreciate your help and willingness to do so.

Thank you all.

Denny

Back