Adjusting power feed clutch on British Hardinge HLV

canerodscom

Active User
Registered
Hi Folks,

Occasionally the cross feed power advance kicks in when I do not want it to. When it does, a part is ruined in a hurry. I have seen several pictures and descriptions on how to adjust the clutch but none are exactly like my lathe. On my machine there is a large setscrew on the left side of both the longitudinal carriage feed lever and the cross slide feed lever. That screw seems to be only a cover. Underneath is a much smaller set screw which seems to be the means of adjusting the clutch. But turning the small set screw seems to make no difference in where the lever engages the clutch and starts the feed. Should I tighten or loosen the set screw to help prevent the cross slide from engaging when I do not want it to do so?

I would take a picture, but it's really hard to get a camera in the right position.

Any ideas?

This is the sign of a very bad problem and you should immediately purge yourself of future problems. -Let me know when I can come over and take it off your hands. (tongue in-cheek)...

Sorry. Don't know about that lathe and hope someone can help you out.

The key word is occasionally I think. When is the last time you drained the Carriage lube? I see in a manual it says to change the oil every 60 days. If it has been longer then that, you may want to drain it and put in some Kerosene run it and engage the clutches, drain it and do it again (might take 3 times or until it looks clean when your draining it) and then put in auto transmission fluid. My book is for an American HLV-H and it says to use Mobilfluid 350. There might also be a broken clutch spring or a burr on the clutch assembly shaft not allowing it to disengage properly.

Thank you Richard. I'll give that a try. May I ask which "book" you refer to? I'd love to have some good reference material for this tool.

I second the comments made by Richard.

Not being familar with Hardinge lathes other than basic operations of them, I had one of the apron clutches on my Sheldon lathe loose a couple of wavey springs from the clutch stack that caused problems getting it to engage properly. Never engage prematurely. Replace the broken wavey springs and been running for the past 30 years!

Thank you Richard. I'll give that a try. May I ask which "book" you refer to? I'd love to have some good reference material for this tool.

I used to rebuild a lot of Hardinge's an I have a few manuals in my collection. I have a Maintenance and Operators manual send me a email an I'll make a copy of that section. I can check and see if I have and extra one I will sell you for a zillion dollars...lol...
Richard@Handscraping.com

Thank you Richard. An email is on the way.

And thanks Ken. The clutch springs on my machine are plenty strong. Rather than lacking the strength to disengage it is seems more to need adjustment.

Harry

I used to rebuild a lot of Hardinge's an I have a few manuals in my collection. I have a Maintenance and Operators manual send me a email an I'll make a copy of that section. I can check and see if I have and extra one I will sell you for a zillion dollars...lol...
Richard@Handscraping.com
Richard, I have a turret hardinge, the cross slide some times runs in automatic, and when it gets a bit tight on the extremes, it slips. Also the reostats that regulate the spindle speed dont work. Could you help me solve my problems?
thanks in advance.

Syam...

I believe Richard is away on vacation with limited internet access. Chances are good he will not contact this board again for a few weeks. He is not ignoring you, just unavailable at this time.

Harry

Back