Adjusting power feed clutch on British Hardinge HLV

Syam...

I believe Richard is away on vacation with limited internet access. Chances are good he will not contact this board again for a few weeks. He is not ignoring you, just unavailable at this time.

Harry
Thanks Harry. By the way. My Hardinge is an HC.

Hello everyone, I'm at a hotel in Ft Lauderdale and waiting to board the ship this afternoon. I checked with my friends at Hardinge as Harry knows and they don't have records or anyone still there that know how to adjust them. If I were you. One of you take the carriage apart and figure it out. Harry you have been screwing with the issue for weeks. It's probably worn or dirty. I was thinking the front plate maybe have some jack off screws in it near the dowel pins where you would insert a screw to push off the plate after you remove the bolts. I sent Harry a few pictures out of a newer HLV book on how to remove the plate. Use it as a guide even though it isn't exact. One thing Hardinge did back then, they made it simple for the average machinist to repair their machines. I will be checking later if I can, or in the next few days from the ship. On another note, I was reading an article about not telling friends on the net your taking a vacation as thiefs will break in to your house. Well they would get a rude awakening if they did. I have a huge Shepard lab mix dog and my daughter is there and she is a crack shot. LOL
PS: if you guys do take it apart, please take some pic's for us. Rich

Harry you have been screwing with the issue for weeks. It's probably worn or dirty. I was thinking the front plate maybe have some jack off screws in it near the dowel pins where you would insert a screw to push off the plate after you remove the bolts. I sent Harry a few pictures out of a newer HLV book on how to remove the plate. Use it as a guide even though it isn't exact. One thing Hardinge did back then, they made it simple for the average machinist to repair their machines.

I am waiting on some printed materials to arrive here from across the pond before tearing into my HLV any further. When the materials arrive I'll do what it takes to get things working correctly again and try my best to document with photos, though it's tough to stop, clean your hands, grab the camera and lighting, then get greasy again. <g> In the meanwhile if you would like copies of the photos Rich sent me from HLV-H manuals, drop me a note at maker at canerods dot com.

Harry

Thank you all for your attempts to help. The correct user manuals arrived from England one day last week, but due to other obligations I didn't get to work on the lathe till Saturday. Richard and I had conversed off the forum and several times he mentioned that Hardinge did a great job of keeping things simple for the end users of these machines. That was certainly the case for me.

To adjust the point where the clutches engage or disengage, remove the cover on the side (or top) of the pillar to which the engagement lever is mounted. Turn on the machine, and the electronic power feed. Peer down inside the pillar watching for a small set screw. When the set screw appears, turn off the power feed. Use a 1/8" hex wrench to loosen the set screw, but don't remove the wrench from the screw once it is loose. When it's loose, use the electronic power feed to jog the machine to the right to tighten the engagement point, or to the left to loosen the engagement point. (I'm writing from memory and may have the directions backwards, but it's trial and error either way) In my case a half-turn was plenty. The entire job took less than 5 minutes.

Thanks again to Richard and all of you who tried to help. I thought it worth posting this information here after the fact in case anyone else runs into similar problems.

Best,
Harry

Back