A Project Quest

I'll leave that one for Mark. At this point the spindle is his baby.

My rails arrive today. This indicates the mail will be late today. ROTFLMAO

"Bill"

Thanks Bill. Boy, those are rough for $35 apiece.

My rails shipped today , Bill.

I have a thread in Moderator projects about building a grinding wheel balancer. I needed to make one and it will come in handy when this project is completed. The balancer is done and works great. I am machining an arbor for the wheels now. Since it will work on this project , I am going to include the arbor here along with the special arbor I am making to machine the grinding wheel arbor for this grinder.
image.jpeg
This is the balancing arbor. The end shafts are finished. This was turned from a piece of 1" OD CRS. This had to be machined between centers to be sure the shafts are exactly the same size and concentric and parallel. The shaft sizes are within .0002 from one end to the other. They were then polished with 400 paper and final polished to a mirror finish with fine Crocus cloth.I am also making a special arbor to machine the grinding wheel arbor. They both will have the taper in the middle, which will also be turned between centers. I will post a photo of the machining arbor. It will be used to machine the grinding wheel arbor. Once the grinding wheel arbor is drilled and the taper cut in it. It will get mounted on the machining arbor and machined on both sides. This will insure every dimension is referenced off the center taper and concentric with it. I am getting all three pieces ready to machine the taper so once the lathe is set up for 3 IPF taper , I can cut all the tapers at once. I am going to make two wheel arbor blanks to use to make a mock up of the balancing system. If they work out I can then finish these later into useable grinding wheel arbors.

I have found another error in the wheel arbor print. I have corrected my prints. I will be machining a wheel arbor this week to make sure everything is correct. The depth of the front internal threaded bore has been changed from .750 to .650 to make the taper slightly longer than the taper on the spindle.

I am making the wheel arbor as a mock up to check the print. If the main part is good, I will finish it into a usable wheel arbor.
Wheel Arbor1.jpg This is a rough blank for the wheel arbor. It is machined from a solid piece of steel 3" O.D. and 3" long. All the surfaces have .050' to .100" left for finish machining after the taper is cut.
Wheel Arbor2.jpg The front and rear recesses are the only surfaces machined to finished Dimensions. Once the taper is cut, this piece will mount on a special arbor shaft made to hold it by the taper while all the finish machining is done. This will insure every dimension is concentric with and located off the taper. This is important so the arbor runs true and is balanced as well as possible. The next step will be to cut the taper in the center hole. I am holding every tolerance as perfect as I can to insure a quality part. I am making this part off my print to make sure the print is correct. I will be correcting any errors along the way if any are discovered and then I know we will have a usable print.

I priced these arbors, which are available to buy and the quote was $800 + for one arbor. I will have $25 in material and I think about 24 hours labor making the arbor.

I finally had a chance to play with a cheap stepper speed controller, without some additional electronics it won't make a good table drive. I could not get it to accel and decel at the ends of travel, so it won't generate a trapezoidal motion profile. The least cost method to properly drive the table with a stepper motor is to hook a computer to it and run Mach3 on the computer. CNC surface grinder here we come..:grin:

Back