A Project Quest

Here are DRAFTS for what I propose for the balance system. It is simple ans easy to machine.

Wheel Arbor.jpg This is a new draft showing the change in the wheel arbor. NOTICE detail "A".

Balance Weight Groove Detail.jpg This is detail "A" which gives the dimensions for making the groove.

Wheel Arbor Balance Weight.jpg This is the proposed wheel arbor balancing weights and how to make them. This is a simple process. Are there any other ideas or changes ?

Just a quick note on balancing. Some wheels may not need to be balanced when first used but as the diameter and thickness get smaller from dressing they could need balancing. It is best to check the balance every once in awhile after a couple dressings or as the finish seems to change appearance.

Reactions: ome
What kind of balance system do you use?

I use a carbide drill to peck small divots in the wheel near the hub. Only 3/16" deep or so, so it's not like the wheel is severely weakened in radial tensile strength. It works OK, but I would still prefer an arbor with balancing weights.

If it's helpful, I had a B&S hub removal tool in my hand today so I measured the major diameter of the external thread, 0.975. I'll be doing more grinding work on Monday if you need any other measurements.

I use a carbide drill to peck small divots in the wheel near the hub. Only 3/16" deep or so, so it's not like the wheel is severely weakened in radial tensile strength. It works OK, but I would still prefer an arbor with balancing weights.
That does not even sound safe. You could crack the wheel.

That does not even sound safe. You could crack the wheel.
I totally understand your concern and acknowledge the dangers. It took very little pressure to cut into, I took it off the arbor to make sure it still rung. (Balance didn't change much after removing the arbor.) Then ran it for awhile standing away from thy machine and when everything checked out I dressed it. I researched the method and doesn't hear of any accidents, and although I don't recommend it it works okay for me. When I end up buying a new wheel I might make a new arbor with weights.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

Looks like a spell in the electrolytic cleaner would be beneficial. And maybe save LOTS of work.

Back