A Project Quest

Still here folks. Parts are enroute to Mark and from Mark to me. We have no control over this. Sorry for the delays.

"Bill and Mark"

It's all good Bill. I'm enjoying the ride. :)

Mark,

I confirmed that the A36 steel is at the Water Cutters Shop. I will go over with him what we want tomorrow. With his present schedule it will be two weeks to get it done. I will check them when finished and if OK will ship them to you and bring mine home. I am sticking with + .040 for the cut.

"Bill"

Mark,

I confirmed that the A36 steel is at the Water Cutters Shop. I will go over with him what we want tomorrow. With his present schedule it will be two weeks to get it done. I will check them when finished and if OK will ship them to you and bring mine home. I am sticking with + .040 for the cut.

"Bill"
Sounds good, Bill. I will send the coupling and washers to you as soon as the washers arrive.

These are hopefully the last drafts for the spindle. I found some more calculation errors and changed the length of the taper. I have spent many hours calculating, checking, and rechecking these dimensions. It is easy to make a mistake. This is actually my fourth draft of these prints. This is all part of the process designing a project and making it. There are a lot of dimensions on here. changing one can affect six others. Personally, I won't be able to swear they are 100% correct until I actually build the spindle. ( But, then, I usually build and make the print for what I build. But this project is complex enough, that is not possible.)
Spindle Body.jpg Spindle Shaft.jpg Wheel Arbor.jpg
I plan to machine these parts as a trial to make sure they are correct. If there are any questions, please ask. hopefully there are no more errors, but I don't know that for sure.

That looks like a lot of work! Nice drawings Mark! :encourage:

Two things Mark, are the .984-16 threads (on the wheel arbor print) for removal of the wheel arbor from the spindle and what are the weight groove dimensions?

"Bill"

Most ( if not all ) wheel arbors have that .984 - 16 thread for the arbor removal tool. That way a person can have multiple wheels set up on arbors for quick exchange. I still have one of the tools for removing the arbors on the surface grinders.

Two things Mark, are the .984-16 threads (on the wheel arbor print) for removal of the wheel arbor from the spindle and what are the weight groove dimensions?

"Bill"
Both Bills are correct. I used the standard thread so you can buy the tool or as I will do ..... Make it.

The balance groove dimensions are missing because I am trying to get a price on the weight set as I can't figure a way to make them.....yet. If they are inexpensive . I will buy them. If not .... :( I really don't have a back up plan . I have found a couple designs of weights , I'm still working on how to make them . I will make a sketch of the weight and maybe someone on here will have an idea.:encourage:

Reactions: ome
Thank you Mark and Bill for answering the thread question. See guys, even I ask when not 199% sure.

"Bill"

PS Bill, I enlarged your avatar but had to restore it to your size as my dogs would not stop barking ROTFLMAO

Back